diy solar

diy solar

Got 4 free Solarex sx-20 panels...now what?

GetOut

Hi all,

I have been really interested in getting solar for my camper, but have not been able to justify the cost quite yet. Talking with a buddy about this and he gave me 4 old Solarex (BP) SX-20 panels that he came by. I guess they were used to power road signs a bunch of years ago. They are pretty small, 20Ws apiece, but I thought that I could hook them up and learn a bunch. Hopefully, I am not wasting my time. :) He has more panels so I could probably grab 4 more if these work well.

I wasn't 100% sure, but I think that I found the specs online, so I will attach them here.

The wires going out of the box are cut, but looking inside it looks like only the red and black wires connect to the panels. The white and green wires are capped together. I don't think I need to touch the grey and red wires coming out of the panels. I am not sure, but I think that how they are connected to that bus dictates the output voltage maybe?

I am a bit ignorant on the best way to wire the panels together, but I figured that I could pull out the old wire and rewire new wire with just two wires inside. Not sure if I should seek out solar-specific wire or if any would do or which gauge? Also not sure if I need to use solar panel connectors or just wire cap them together.

After a little research, I was planning on wiring these together in series and use an MTTP controller as a portable setup to charge my RV batteries. I wasn't sure but was figuring on around 30'-50' of line if that would work. Upping the voltage seemed to allow me to use smaller gauge wire without losing a big percentage of the wattage. Am I on the right track?

Any and all info and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SX20U-specs.gif
    SX20U-specs.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 17
Hi all,

I have been really interested in getting solar for my camper, but have not been able to justify the cost quite yet. Talking with a buddy about this and he gave me 4 old Solarex (BP) SX-20 panels that he came by. I guess they were used to power road signs a bunch of years ago. They are pretty small, 20Ws apiece, but I thought that I could hook them up and learn a bunch. Hopefully, I am not wasting my time. :) He has more panels so I could probably grab 4 more if these work well.

I wasn't 100% sure, but I think that I found the specs online, so I will attach them here.

The wires going out of the box are cut, but looking inside it looks like only the red and black wires connect to the panels. The white and green wires are capped together. I don't think I need to touch the grey and red wires coming out of the panels. I am not sure, but I think that how they are connected to that bus dictates the output voltage maybe?

I am a bit ignorant on the best way to wire the panels together, but I figured that I could pull out the old wire and rewire new wire with just two wires inside. Not sure if I should seek out solar-specific wire or if any would do or which gauge? Also not sure if I need to use solar panel connectors or just wire cap them together.

After a little research, I was planning on wiring these together in series and use an MTTP controller as a portable setup to charge my RV batteries. I wasn't sure but was figuring on around 30'-50' of line if that would work. Upping the voltage seemed to allow me to use smaller gauge wire without losing a big percentage of the wattage. Am I on the right track?

Any and all info and advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Chris

Welcome to the forum.

Since this is just to keep your batteries topped off, an MPPT is overkill. IMHO, a single quality new 100W panel with charge controller kit would be inexpensive and likely have a much better outcome without a lot of hassle.

Not an endorsement of that product, but an example of the value you get in a kit.

If it's just for the learning experience, I'd start with a PWM controller and run the panels in parallel since you won't be getting a lot of voltage drop with so low a current.

Thanks Snoobler! Yes, I have looked at a few kits on amazon that were pretty cheap, but since these were FREE :) I figured I'd play around and start looking for ways to take advantage of them!

Any thoughts on the wiring options? Not serial vs. parallel, but more towards the type/gauge of the wires and connections to use?

Thanks again!

Would stick with PWM vs. MPPT for the cost. Many fake MPPT that are actually PWM, so you might be thinking you can get one for less than $90.

Panels in parallel.

Butt splices with marine grade shrink.

Use the awg chart link in my sig to pick a wire gage based on current. You only need to carry 5.2A with the 4 in parallel, and the panels are already going to be forced into at 3-4V drop to the battery, so you likely won't actually lose any usable power.

The above calculator uses 16.8V (panel Vmp) and 5.2A to simulate a 4P array. 50' of 14awg only has a 1.31V drop, and that's still above battery voltage, so you won't lose any useable power.

Based on those numbers, I'd choose 14awg for 50'.

Thank you! This is great! Looking at the wire options, does it matter if it is stranded or solid? I think stranded would be more flexible, but solid may do better...?

Thank you! This is great! Looking at the wire options, does it matter if it is stranded or solid? I think stranded would be more flexible, but solid may do better...?

I would go with stranded.

This has been used by some-seems to work well-

That stuff look pretty decent. Stranded, 12awg and "sunlight resistant".

Back