diy solar

diy solar

Got a Torqeedo battery - tiny home application solar build?

Hozjan

I've done a pile of looking and I've watched Will's videos for awhile now, but I cannot figure out if my specific situation I have is doable (I believe it is). If it is doable then advice on which charge controllers/panels to buy to build around my new battery would be great!

I have two new batteries (dirt cheap from an auction) and I'm curious as to what third party Solar charge controller and solar panels I should get for it, at least IF it allows me to use third party equipment. The battery I'd like to build around is a Torqeedo Power 24-3500 as linked below:

I understand this is a marine battery and Torqeedo try to make their own controllers for everything. But I'm really hoping I can figure out how to use this battery (if possible) for a small tiny home setting. If I can work around this battery then I'd start out getting a bit of a beefier charge controller and maybe add a few more panels later on. My power usage currently is SMALL, probably max 2 panels - but I'd prefer to not have to upgrade everything once I start needing to beef it up.

So IF its possible to use this battery for a custom setup without other Torqeedo equipment, then I'd need to figure out a solar charge controller and solar panels. I'm looking at the Epever 40a (as linked below) that Will suggests for most small/medium charge controller applications. The panels I'm completely unsure what volt/amps I should be looking for as the battery seems to have a "nominal voltage" of 25.2?

I don't see why you couldn't use it. Definitely stay within charging parameters of the OEM charger. The Torqeedo website states the battery has a built-in BMS so as long as you don't do anything too crazy you should be relatively safe.

Back