diy solar

diy solar

Got the brains but not the body for DIY simple solar system

CorbettO

I am an older solo traveler. Currently downsizing to a Ford E-350.

Want to install the 12v Van life system as described on Will Prowse’s website. Will be using CIGS flexible solar panels on the hightop roof. Will be adding a 30amp inlet for shore power.

I got the brains to figure it out but can’t do the physical work due to disability.

Any suggestions on how to find someone who might be able to do the physical part? I am located in north central Florida but will gladly travel to get this done. Strongly prefer someone who’s done mobile electrical DIY before. Happy to pay for the help.

More info: I asked around on local networks and didn’t find anyone. I lived in a school bus for a year and have a thorough energy audit of my needs for this new system. I mostly run 12v (including my CPAP with 12v adapter). My 110 usage can be done when on shore power (charging device batteries).

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,
Corbett

I am an older solo traveler. Currently downsizing to a Ford E-350.

Want to install the 12v Van life system as described on Will Prowse’s website. Will be using CIGS flexible solar panels on the hightop roof. Will be adding a 30amp inlet for shore power.

I got the brains to figure it out but can’t do the physical work due to disability.

Any suggestions on how to find someone who might be able to do the physical part? I am located in north central Florida but will gladly travel to get this done. Strongly prefer someone who’s done mobile electrical DIY before. Happy to pay for the help.

More info: I asked around on local networks and didn’t find anyone. I lived in a school bus for a year and have a thorough energy audit of my needs for this new system. I mostly run 12v (including my CPAP with 12v adapter). My 110 usage can be done when on shore power (charging device batteries).

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,
Corbett
Might check with a local RV dealership. Mounting the solar panels on a vehicle needs to be done properly for safety purposes.

That might be one of the last places I’d go to get electrical work or panel mounting! Most connect wires and stuff but I don’t think most RV places do anything close to a good job- or safe.
Already called the local RV place that also does repairs. They won’t work on my van even when it’s just something simple like a seat base replacement. They only want to fix factory-made conversions. Which is why I am asking here.

suggestions on how to find someone who might be able to do the physical part? I am located in north central Florida but will gladly travel
Here are three suggestions not in any particular order.
And caveat emptor. There’s a million ‘mechanics,’ “service techs,” whatever and they all know their stuff- they’ll freely tell you that. Maybe 1 in 20 can handle actual projects that aren’t merely parts replacement.

1) ambulance/fire equipment/military upfitter. Some of these companies are great and make stuff happen and safe- good. Most put part numbers in- not good.
2) techy ham operators, jeep hobby builders, alternator repair shops: some of these guys forget more than I know. Some… ask around. These old ham guys that were in Korea or Vietnam are pretty savvy
3) auto electric shop- maybe
4) go camping at some big ‘village’ RV places. There’s gonna be some alaskan bush pilot or millwright or old-timey gunsmith that’ll fix you right up

Umm. Like if it weren’t 25*F at night, and I wasn’t so many hours occupied with employment…I’d say drive to Vermont- I might know someone.
I’m also pretty fair at cabinets, sound-deadening, welding… Yep. I just now almost talked myself into quitting my job and setting up shop LOL

Here are three suggestions not in any particular order.
And caveat emptor. There’s a million ‘mechanics,’ “service techs,” whatever and they all know their stuff- they’ll freely tell you that. Maybe 1 in 20 can handle actual projects that aren’t merely parts replacement.

1) ambulance/fire equipment/military upfitter. Some of these companies are great and make stuff happen and safe- good. Most put part numbers in- not good.
2) techy ham operators, jeep hobby builders, alternator repair shops: some of these guys forget more than I know. Some… ask around. These old ham guys that were in Korea or Vietnam are pretty savvy
3) auto electric shop- maybe
4) go camping at some big ‘village’ RV places. There’s gonna be some alaskan bush pilot or millwright or old-timey gunsmith that’ll fix you right up

Umm. Like if it weren’t 25*F at night, and I wasn’t so many hours occupied with employment…I’d say drive to Vermont- I might know someone.
I’m also pretty fair at cabinets, sound-deadening, welding… Yep. I just now almost talked myself into quitting my job and setting up shop LOL
Thank you. This is very helpful

I'd also strongly consider using rigid panels rather than flexible. Much greater durability and less heat transfer into the box.

Not sure if longevity is a concern for you but they tend to lose output faster as well.

That said, flexible panels can work fine as long as you plan for the somewhat lower output and extra heat load with insulation or ventilation or both.

Back