diy solar

diy solar

Graphene Supercap Battery bank

Swede

Hi, I am fresh here. For some odd reason I am so interested into the energy field. My background is not within this field, at all. I live in a rental and drive 100 miles or so per month in my tiny Fiat Panda Diesel (!). But we have to change, that is my drive. I have lowered my electrical usage for many years now, and I compete with my self for last year, every year.

I don't like Dino-Juice, I have hard time accepting AC - when you produce cold but send out heat into the void outside your house (we other call air). Since 2012 I have stopped flying, I just go around where I can, for longer trips by train, for shorter with my Dino-Fiat :( However, that is me, I accept others doing completely opposite to me, so I am not a tree-hugger or fanatic. I just wish we all strive for a good world we all can exist on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is my find on Alibaba. Let's not dwell into who is creating what and that talk here. I come from a tiny populated country who has so many inventors (?) on the Periodic table ,it's really silly (Sweden) and founder of Noble prices among all.

From China I bought Graphene Supercap Cells 2.7V and 3000F. With the 18650 form factor! It is a game changer in itself. I would say 99.5% of the Chinese companies I order from also delivers. Normally it would have been the Maxwell form factor (beer can size), large and around half a pound or so per cell. But this ones is at 40 grams with the same capacity and per cell. I do not have any Supercap-meter, but I am testing them converting farads into Amps instead.

Now I found this product (I am not affiliated at all with them) https://bit.ly/36zooiW and pouch-bag style form factor. This i just an tremendous step. 4.2Volt and 21 000 Farads. So let's convert Farads into Amps, Coulombs style - 21 000F x 4.2V / 3600s (60 sec x 60 minutes) = ca 24 AmpH -what! I do not know the weight of this product, I only know the weight of the 18650 styled cells (40 grams), but per Amp I am sure it is less...since the 18650 contains a metallic cylinder doing nothing.

So If I had to order 24 of them and pay $2400 for it! What do I get on paper? Lets make 12V "batteries" of from them, shall we. 4.2V x 4 = 16V, so we have a 4S "battery". Just let us agree that when "storing" energy then we call it battery, not meaning the method in this example. 4S Supercap battery means you do not have 21 000F anymore, you have 21 000 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 2 = 1300F = 5.5AmpH or 88Wh. Then we add them in parallel, 24 pcs / 4 = 6 parallel strings, 5.5 AmpH x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 176 AmpH x 16V Battery = 2800Wh (if one amp per hour drain). So we get 3 pcs of 900Wh battery of Supercaps? Close to 3kWh.

So 2.8kWh of Supercap energy for $2400, now come the fun part with Graphene Supercaps,
  • they can charge a lot below Zero, in Anders Celsius degrees -40C and up to +70C.
  • No problem to short circuit them, you can weld with this, as is.
  • Drain to Zero Voltage? No problem - they do not care, your charger will - most likely - but not them.
  • Graphene - you will get graphene after a fire for instance, Lith-Ion use super dangerous materials compared to graphene.
  • Fast Charge them with low voltage, NEVER exceed the voltage, Supercaps try to reach equilibrium - add more Amps, I guess.
  • 80% - 5% SOC life cycle time 110 000 times - This batteries will go on in generations- 1 cycle time per day means 300 yrs life span or more.
  • Charge for weeks, months or years? Graphene Supercaps, does not care. It will try to reach equilibrium - that's all

I will add some images from my 18650 Graphene Supercaps.
https://ibb.co/PxZ1V2t (12V - 16V)
https://ibb.co/7Q4nPpR (12V - 16V)
https://ibb.co/MG1WfP2 (5V)

Should I build an battery for Will Prowse to try his normal ways of testing stuff?

Ps. I think all of my Supercaps cells with the same capacity is as one Maxwell 2.7V and 3000F could reside in one or two Maxwells - all of them :)

Last edited:
Dang, now there is an investment! Have you welded with it? How long at what amps to charge them?

Before leaping in people should look at the discharge graphs for the device, if they can be found. I tried looking for a datasheet on this one but not even the Chinese version of the manufacturer's web site has any tech docs, at least I couldn't find them so there is always the possibility that these capacitors have a remarkably flat discharge curve but ...

Batteries have a fairly flat voltage vs power curve, ie for most of the time the battery has charge it will hold the voltage up. A capacitor is fundamentally different. As you discharge a capacitor the voltage falls significantly. Unless you have a regulator (SMPS) designed to work across the full range of voltage that the capacitors will provide as they discharge a considerable portion of the charge will not be available to use in a system designed around batteries.

There might well be 10080000 joules of energy in a '2.8kWh' capacitor bank but if you put that capacitor bank into an application intended for 12v lead acid / lithium etc once the capacitor bank discharges down to 10v, your system shuts down and you are left with many Mj of energy that you can't touch. A boost power supply will let you access those joules but as the voltage continues to drop the current flowing into the power supply from the capacitor gets out of hand really quickly. Suppose you want 1000 watts on the power supply's output. With the capacitor bank down to 6v that means ~170 amps. There's plenty more joules to go so let's take that voltage lower, 3 volts, ~340 amps. A boost converter that takes in 3v at 340 amps and turns it into, let's say 12v at 80 amps is not a cheap thing. Even at 2 volts there's a fair bit of energy still waiting to be used but the current is well beyond practical at this point.

Last edited:
Back