diy solar

diy solar

Greater than 48 VDC Busbars

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
What are you using for bus bars for systems in excess of 48 volts DC?

48 VDC max seems to be the magic number where companies like BlueSea cap out their lower amperage busbars.

For my situation, I want to build a combiner box where each string of panels could be pushing 66 VDC.

I had got Gang Box connectors rated at 60 amps, 600Volts and 8 AWG wire before. I could use this again, but am looking for something smaller. I used these in my last combiner box I built:

1631219597750.png
I would like to use something like these from midnite solar, but they give an amp rating of 180 amps, which is plenty, but mention nothing of votlage. Its pretty common to list max amps, but have not seen a max volts even for the some type of product listed by other companies.
1631220010015.png

In theory, a standard bus bar can handle much, much more than 48V. But when exceeding ~50V, touch prevention mechanisms have to be part of the game to gain approvals.

What are you using for bus bars for systems in excess of 48 volts DC?

48 VDC max seems to be the magic number where companies like BlueSea cap out their lower amperage busbars.

For my situation, I want to build a combiner box where each string of panels could be pushing 66 VDC.

I had got Gang Box connectors rated at 60 amps, 600Volts and 8 AWG wire before. I could use this again, but am looking for something smaller. I used these in my last combiner box I built:

View attachment 63990
I would like to use something like these from midnite solar, but they give an amp rating of 180 amps, which is plenty, but mention nothing of votlage. Its pretty common to list max amps, but have not seen a max volts even for the some type of product listed by other companies.
View attachment 63992
Funny.... I ran into the same problem on those Midnight busbars.... the voltage is not listed anywhere.

The voltage they can handle is going to depend on what the resistance capability of the mounting plastic is and/or the possibility of an arc to the metal it might be mounted on or close to. The fact is, those will be fine for 60V. Heck, they are probably fine at 120V since they look like they were re-purposed from breaker box busbars.

Back