diy solar

diy solar

green with questions

firehallsolar

hey everyone! just picked 10 canadiansolar CS6P-235M panels in a barn find so im brand new to the solar thing. i want to do off grid battery bank for the shop. i am a little confused with the volt out power and battery volt needed. so the Pmax 235w, Vpm 29.8v, Imp 7.90a, Voc 36.9v, Isc 8.46. so what volt batter i can use? 36v? so hopefully i can have the panels up in the next week or so while parts are coming in

Typical system voltages are 12, 24 and 48 volts.
With your panels in parallel you can easily do 12 and 24.
If you add a serial component to your panel configuration you can do 48 volts as well.

What are you wanting to provide power to? Lights? Power tools? Welders?

hey everyone! just picked 10 canadiansolar CS6P-235M panels in a barn find so im brand new to the solar thing. i want to do off grid battery bank for the shop. i am a little confused with the volt out power and battery volt needed. so the Pmax 235w, Vpm 29.8v, Imp 7.90a, Voc 36.9v, Isc 8.46. so what volt batter i can use? 36v? so hopefully i can have the panels up in the next week or so while parts are coming in
10 panels x 235 watts is 2,350 watts.
2350 at 12 volts is 196 amps
2350 at 24 volts is 98 amps
2350 at 48 volts is 49 amp

How many feet from the panels to the SCC and batteries?

Your choice of battery voltage and chemistry will decide what size charge controller and how the panels are connected in series and parallel.
5 panels in series at 37 volts open circuit is 185 volts total then parrallel connect the other 5 panels in series
2 panels in series at 37 volts open circuit is 64 volts total
3 panels in series at 37 volts open circuit is 111 volts total with one panel left over.

What loads are you running in your shop?

lighting, tv, laptop, music, charging cordless tools.
That's a lot of panels for those small loads.
You dont need 2350 watts panels which will require a large SCC and big battery.
Figure out how many hours a day you are using each device for then how many watt hours total.

10 panels x 235 watts is 2,350 watts.
2350 at 12 volts is 196 amps
2350 at 24 volts is 98 amps
2350 at 48 volts is 49 amp

How many feet from the panels to the SCC and batteries?

Your choice of battery voltage and chemistry will decide what size charge controller and how the panels are connected in series and parallel.
5 panels in series at 37 volts open circuit is 185 volts total then parrallel connect the other 5 panels in series
2 panels in series at 37 volts open circuit is 64 volts total
3 panels in series at 37 volts open circuit is 111 volts total with one panel left over.

What loads are you running in your shop?

everything is only a few feet away from panels.
i understand paralelle and series, i just dont know what the out putting voltage of the solar panel is to operate charge controller and batteries. is says Voc36v? or Vmp29.8v so dose that mean 36v or 24v?

That's a lot of panels for those small loads.
You dont need 2350 watts panels which will require a large SCC and big battery.
Figure out how many hours a day you are using each device for then how many watt hours total.
i have nearly 2000w of just led lighting

everything is only a few feet away from panels.
i understand paralelle and series, i just dont know what the out putting voltage of the solar panel is to operate charge controller and batteries. is says Voc36v? or Vmp29.8v so dose that mean 36v or 24v?
You are missing words so hard to understand.
When you say 36 volts or 24 volts do you mean the battery??
Nobody uses 36 volt batteries.

Most charge controller will accept up to 150 volts open circuit from your panels then adjust that voltage to charge either a 12V or 24V or 48V battery.

There are 2 sides to a SCC the input and output. Your panel voltage input to a SCC has little to do with what voltage battery you use.
Sounds like a 24 volt battery system would work for your small loads.
Did you decide on an inverter?

i have nearly 2000w of just led lighting
Is the led lighting 12 volts or 120 volts?
Ok so figure out how many watt hours you will use in a day.
And how many days you want to go without solar charging.
Why do you need 2000w of led lighting?
Do you have grid power on site?

Last edited:
Is the led lighting 12 volts or 120 volts?
Ok so figure out how many watt hours you will use in a day.
And how many days you want to go without solar charging.
Why do you need 2000w of led lighting?
Do you have grid power on site?

Sorry, i dont like how big the keyboard is on my new laptop and type pretty quick, i need to proof read more haha.
i have a big shop with a bunch of rooms and second floor. the fixtures and bulbs were super cheap and kinda went overboard on the lighting but i like how bright everything is. The led lighting right now is 120v on grid. 40 fixtures, 12w t5 4 bulbs per fixture. 1920wh all in total but actual normal use is 500wh @ 6h give or take. I rarely have all shop lights on but just in case.
I use to have a 1000w 12v system at my cottage, sold the cottage, kept the inverters.
Built my new shop with plans of off grid and back up power for the house. I do plan on getting more panels, in a year after i will do a performance review, then i go from there.
so right now the equipment i have collected:
10 canadiansolar CS6P-235M panels
2x 60a make sky blue V118 CC
3x 1000W Motormaster pure sine 12v inverter ( got one for free, loved it. found 2 new/used matching on Kij for dirt cheap)
2x 750w 24v to 12v Stepdown controlers from another project
8.6kw 36w A123 lifePo4 Battery packs (need to rewire for 24v)
2x amazon 1000w Y&H grid tie Inverters (i was going to use them on the cottage but i ordered the 24v/36v model by accident, then sold the cottage. i might even use them on the shop if i get more panels)

Back