diy solar

diy solar

Greetings from Mexico!, looking for support on my off grid setup

Xfsec

Hey everyone glad to be part of this forum now

So a little bit of background, the need for a solar power system comes from my grandparents whose place is quite literally in the middle of nowhere, they have access to the grid but due to the distance of the wiring to the nearest town it's very unreliable, dangerous (due to constant lighting) and it can barely power anything with a motor

I started my project years ago with super basic stuff and it has been slowly growing as cash becomes available for better gear to something I can be moderately proud of, but regardless I still consider myself a novice since I have no professional background and I still have a lot to learn but solar energy has been one of my big interests.

My current setup is based on a Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-48P hybrid inverter with 16 x 105Ah LFP4 cells and a total of 900W of solar panels

In fact I installed the growatt a couple days ago replacing a chinese hybrid inverter whose MPPT charger died due to a thunderstorm, but I been getting some really odd behavior from the new one that is making me think going for Growatt might not have been the best idea ever... (keep in mind that I have already contacted growatt support but they seem awfully slow to respond, at least the local one is)

1- The inverter doesn't seem to care for the charge limits

This one is related to a post by debron55, in summary if the battery is set to 'USE2' which is the recommended in the manual for lithium batteries without BMS communication the charger will completely shut off after the set limit and waste potential solar energy that could power the loads when the batteries are full

While Set to 'USE' this doesn't happen and it powers the loads no problem however I been noticing that It's just ignoring the limits I set on option 19 and 20, Constant voltage charging and Floating charging voltage respectively, I set both at 55.0V or around 3.43V per cell, but it has been consistently charging them up to 55.9V or 3.49V per cell, and while those are within acceptable limits of the batteries it's just something that shouldn't happen... I tried completely restarting the inverter and checking with a quality multimeter to see if the values were off but no dice here

2- The data logger doesn't do anything and lack of serial number of the unit

The install and registry on the app went without problems but after waiting days for any kind of information all I get is 0's and a notification that says 'No device' and yet the module appears on the Datalogger list with good signal and as Online.

I tried registering on the default growatt server and the US one but same result, so it could be possible the logger I got is broken but here comes the interesting bit

As part of Growatt troubleshooting steps they sent me a software to check the serial number of my inverter via USB and to change it in case it didn't match with its side sticker, however while it connects to it, it shows no S/N at all and while trying to write a new one nothing happens.

Before this I tried the usual restart to factory settings on both the wifi module and the inverter itself but none helped the situation.

3. Voltage on both L-G and N-G

This is more of an electrical related question but i'm not sure if it's also related to the inverter itself

as I was wiring some outlets proving around for faults I noticed that there is around 50-60V from Hot to Ground and also 50-60V from Neutral to Ground but Hot to Neutral seems okay at 120V

Correct me if wrong but I had an understanding that only a very small voltage should be present to ground.

So that it is so far, sorry for the wall of text but I have not found any resources on my particular issues and since english is not my main language finding answers on spanish speaking sites as they are usually way smaller has been difficult, every little bit of information helps.

Back