diy solar

diy solar

Greetings from Ontario Canada!

Jeff_W

My first post. I have been reading and learning from Will and the diy forum and thought it’s time to introduce myself. We own an off grid seasonal cabin in northern Ontario and are investigating adding solar power. Nothing to big, just something to run a few AC and DC items which Will‘s classic 400W seems to be the perfect fit. I am ready to post my design for a critical review and will post it in the safety check section. Thank you everyone for so willing to share your expertise. I’m looking forward to building a system, learning more and hopefully at some point be able share in return.

Cheers!

Nothing to big, just something to run a few AC and DC items which Will‘s classic 400W seems to be the perfect fit.
You should REALLY get a good idea how much energy you are expecting. Especially with AC appliances, the numbers add up quickly and 400w seems low based on what you wrote (and how little sun you can get up north).

I followed Will’s video on sizing but I’ll go through it again in case I missed something. Thanks MisterSandals!

Glad there are others from Northern Ontario, just joined up. Tinkered over the last couple years. Presently have 4@100w 12v panels, 3@ (adding 4th) 76 amp hr AGM. I do have a couple 200+ amp 24v panels yet to be deployed. I have bought an EV so want to add a larger solar array, with large charge inverter. This should allow charging from direct sunlight. I do no need much battery storage for my cottage needs. I was looking at a Growatt 5000w Solar Inverter With MPPT 100A Solar regulator DC48V AC220V PV500V, but time to ask the experts, this is abit beyond tinkering. I was looking at canadian solar panels to add with this system. Ideally i am looking to supply minimum 240v ac with a 30 amp draw! Thru the peak sun periods! Please point out my flaws in logic!

Welcome to the forum! There are a few of us on the forum from Ontario. You may want to post your own thread and that way you will get experienced people weighing in. I am just learning myself.

Good advice that helped me so far is to do the energy audit, there is a easy to use spreadsheet in the Resource section, and put your plan together before buying anything. This alone has saved me a few $$ as I have gone through many design iterations.

Good luck! ?

76 amp hr AGM
Growatt 5000w Solar Inverter
I do not know the specifics but i am pretty sure the standby power usage of such a big inverter would be significant for a smaller AGM battery.
Not enough coffee to recall but seems 2-3% of max wattage standby?

.02 x 5000 = 100w
100w x 24h = 2400wh everyday
Batt: 76ah x .5 x 12.8 = 486wh max usable.

Really? Drains battery in 2400/486 = 4.9 hours

I do not know the specifics but i am pretty sure the standby power usage of such a big inverter would be significant for a smaller AGM battery.
Not enough coffee to recall but seems 2-3% of max wattage standby?

.02 x 5000 = 100w
100w x 24h = 2400wh everyday
Batt: 76ah x .5 x 12.8 = 486wh max usable.

Really? Drains battery in 2400/486 = 4.9 hours
Yes i do understand this, i will be adding some upgrade batteries for the system, i was only using this to show how little my needs are without the EV charging requirements. I want to generate and charge, more than generate store and charge.
The inverter would also not be required 24-7. As my hydro needs are small and 18 hours a day, I can run directly from a 12v system which i will maintain separately. For 20 years i had 0 power, so my cottage has many levels of efficiently. Target is to only purchase a smaller battery upgrade, and invest in a larger solar/inverter this year, and enlarge more upgraded batteries next year.
battery storage to charge a 75 kw battery pack would not be feasible.
Thanks for the math on the draw.

Welcome to the forum! There are a few of us on the forum from Ontario. You may want to post your own thread and that way you will get experienced people weighing in. I am just learning myself.

Good advice that helped me so far is to do the energy audit, there is a easy to use spreadsheet in the Resource section, and put your plan together before buying anything. This alone has saved me a few $$ as I have gone through many design iterations.

Good luck! ?
Thanks i will take a look at the suggested materials, when i first designed the system i have, i did do some calculations but with the purchase of an EV, i want to rethink my future system, prices seem to be dropping on some pretty great upgrades.
I do not NEED to charge the EV on site, but am planning for the future, when my company starts all showing up driving EV’s.
Storage capacity to charge an EV would be nuts, but generating enough power to charge it should not be as bad. This is a seasonal location, winter does not factor into designing a system......for now ?

I followed Will’s video on sizing but I’ll go through it again in case I missed something. Thanks MisterSandals!
Being another Jeff from Ontario (southern), and having gone off grid at my cottage, you should really consider going more than 400w.

My cottage shed and cottage cabana have 3000w and 2000w systems respectively. My cottage itself isn’t built yet but I’m planning a lot more. Of course it all depends on your usage and budget but as you add in a fridge, a instant pot or hot plate, a charger for your ATV, a low powered lake pump, and some lights, you need some more juice.

But then again it’s like a new larger hard drive you think is too big. Within days you’ll fill it.

Quite a few folks here from Ontario & Canada in general.
I'm an off-gridder up near Algonquin Park and loving not having to pay out Hydro One hostage fees for their ever-worsening service.

Being another Jeff from Ontario (southern), and having gone off grid at my cottage, you should really consider going more than 400w.
I did seriously consider it and I did go a little bigger (700w) but I just wanted to start with something small for now. Our needs are minor anyways as it is a seasonal cottage and we’ve managed without power for years. My plan is to start with this and grow if it’s successful. Our major items (frig, stove and lamps) are propane and will remain that way.

But hopefully no one asks for microwave popcorn the first night.... :)

Back