diy solar

diy solar

Grid tie a DIY solar system install

cgreen

Has anyone connected their DIY solar system to the grid to take advantage of net metering? I am connected to the grid, but also have built my own solar power system complete with battery. I only use the grid power when there are several days of clouds and my battery gets low. Rather than sinking thousands of dollars into more batteries, I am considering grid tying to take advantage of net metering.

My concern is, will the electric company give me any problems, deny connecting my solar to the grid, or even fine me for not using a licensed electrician to do my solar install? Has anyone gone through this process?

My solar is side-line connected to my breaker panel just as many people connect a generator backup to run their house. The main grid breaker is kept off while running solar power and the solar power breaker is off when using grid power.

Not sure where you are located. In most of the US its a big process. You have to fill out the Solar Interconnect Application with the utility company and get a building permit. Once the system is installed and passes inspection the utility is notified by the building dept and the utility will issue a Permission to Operate and install the Bi-Directional (actually a 2 channel digital) meter which will keep track of NET metering.

My electric company only offers 4 cents/kWh And limits the size of system. So hardly seems worth it. But I hear there may be a banking of kWhs that roll over indefinitely, which could come in handy if household ever gets an EV.

Not sure where you are located. In most of the US its a big process. You have to fill out the Solar Interconnect Application with the utility company and get a building permit. Once the system is installed and passes inspection the utility is notified by the building dept and the utility will issue a Permission to Operate and install the Bi-Directional (actually a 2 channel digital) meter which will keep track of NET metering.

I suppose it depends on location, but does one usually not need a building permit if system is not grid tied? Still need electrical permit though, right? Inspections?

Yes, an electrical permit specifically. I was using the term "building permit" in general terms which would include ALL types of trades that need to be permitted.

Thanks for all the comments. I live in a very rural county of Arkansas and there are not any electric permit requirements for electric permits to install solar for off-grid... which is what I currently have: off-grid solar. But maybe I am safest just to steer clear of grid-tie to avoid any potential "red tape" nightmares that might stem from trying to connect?

I think if I were you I would at least reach out to the electric utility to inquire what the requirements are, that might give you an idea if it is worth it.

This reminds me I should probably reach out to my town's building dept to find out if they want to re-inspect the updates I made to the already-installed system. Not excited about that conversation

Thanks for all the comments. I live in a very rural county of Arkansas and there are not any electric permit requirements for electric permits to install solar for off-grid... which is what I currently have: off-grid solar. But maybe I am safest just to steer clear of grid-tie to avoid any potential "red tape" nightmares that might stem from trying to connect?
I also live fairly rural in Arkansas. I am on Entergy’s grid. I ran for a couple of years off grid before deciding to apply for a grid sell contract. The process was fairly simple. I can’t say for some of the co-op’s that are in the area. I found the application on the net completed it and added the required electrical schematic. Emailed it in. Was contacted by a engineer. He asked a few questions. Set a appointment to sit visit. He looked at everything,took some notes. He said I would be receiving a contract through my email. Also said not to grid sell until I had contract in hand and had the new meter installed.
All above took a couple of weeks. To get the correct meter and the account set up properly took three more months.
I did do my homework on all of the requirements and had them implemented ahead of time.

Back