diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tie help please!

BTR500

Hello to all...just joined 26th Dec 2020...can anyone help with this...I have 7 x 100 watt 12 volt solar panels...i live in the U.K...I've heard that it’s possible to buy 12 volt grid tie inverters that would let me connect some of my panels or even all of my panels to a grid inverter then plug the inverter directly into a mains U.K. wall socket to off set the utility bill...can this actually be done and if so any recommendations on what type to buy...in hope...many thanks....Brian.

I have done several Grid Tie (GT) systems in the US. I am not familiar with the regulations in your country. Whether you can do that with your existing panels may depend on the GT inverters that are available in your market. 700 Watts is not a lot of power and as a practical matter you will not ever see that, especially at this time of year.

Many thanks for your swift reply to my post...I will need to see what 12 volt GT are available here then....thanks

Typically GT inverters operate at higher DC voltage than the grid. To do that they wire panels in series. These are called strings and many inverters have string sizing tools on their websites. Typical voltages are in excess of 300 volts are used to be efficient. Your 12 volt panels probably put out more than 12 volts, but still may not meet the requirements. Check the specs on the back of the panels.

There are plenty of simple grid tie inverters available from China since they use the same grid tech as the UK. Like this one.

They are super easy to use, plug in your panels, plug the inverter into any wall socket and the power your panels create is subtracted from your utility power meter bill. You dont need anything else. The power company will be non the wiser.

The only issue you may have is when you create more power than your house uses. If your meter is not bi—directional (ie wont reverse) you will lose the extra power by donating it to the power company. So not really an issue.

Use a simple kill—a—watt meter to see how much power your making. I like this one, it saves its data even when powered off.

Have fun!

There are plenty of simple grid tie inverters available from China since they use the same grid tech as the UK. Like this one.

They are super easy to use, plug in your panels, plug the inverter into any wall socket and the power your panels create is subtracted from your utility power meter bill. You dont need anything else. The power company will be non the wiser.

The only issue you may have is when you create more power than your house uses. If your meter is not bi—directional (ie wont reverse) you will lose the extra power by donating it to the power company. So not really an issue.

Use a simple kill—a—watt meter to see how much power your making. I like this one, it saves its data even when powered off.

Have fun!
Thank you very much for this information...I will look into it...many thanks.

Typically GT inverters operate at higher DC voltage than the grid. To do that they wire panels in series. These are called strings and many inverters have string sizing tools on their websites. Typical voltages are in excess of 300 volts are used to be efficient. Your 12 volt panels probably put out more than 12 volts, but still may not meet the requirements. Check the specs on the back of the panels.
Many thanks Ampster for your help.

Thank you very much for this information...I will look into it...many thanks.
I meant to ask...so would I have to put 2 panels in series X 3 connecting all the the pos and neg terminals directly to the one single GT Inverter...I have 7 panels...do you think getting another panel so 2 x 4 as I were would be to much for that unit you show? or could I switch 2 off in peak summer days...but run all during the winter months?

The above is bad advice.

@BTR500, you ALWAYS need to contact your utility provider before connecting any power generation equipment to the grid. If you supply voltage to the grid without their permission, you can endanger their workers. Depending upon the country, you may be liable for civil or criminal penalties. They have safety shutdown and listing requirements that your equipment must meet, so if you intend to grid connect, then it is wise to find out what is required before purchasing any equipment.

Every inverter has diiferent string input. It will probably be stated in more detail in the specs and stated in volts and Amps. The Wattage in the headline just gives you a starting point. In series on odd number might work but you might have to drop out one if parallel wiring is the only way to meet the input constraint.

The inverter I linked above can handle 22–60v input voltage from your panels. Your 12v panels probably put out around 18v (VOC) when not connected to any load. So, you could do three panels in series. 3 x 18v = 54v (300w max power)

You could then add another 3 panels in series to that in parallel for double the power. (600w power)

Just check you dont exceed the total voltage for the inverter with a voltage meter.

Also that inverter I linked was just an example, look for one that matches your requirements and has a good reputation. There are lots out there.

The inverter I linked above can handle 22–60v input voltage from your panels. Your 12v panels probably put out around 18v (VOC) when not connected to any load. So, you could do three panels in series. 3 x 18v = 54v (300w max power)

You could then add another 3 panels in series to that in parallel for double the power. (600w power)

Just check you dont exceed the total voltage for the inverter with a voltage meter.

Also that inverter I linked was just an example, look for one that matches your requirements and has a good reputation. There are lots out there.
Many thanks...do you have any GT Inverters in mind that has a good reputation?

Its important you use this in combination with a power meter like I linked above, otherwise you will never know if its working correctly.

Also make accurate power readings of your home now from your utility meter, so you have a good idea how many kw of power you use in a typical day.

Don't be like some fools that find out years later their cool and expensive solar system never made any difference because it was wired wrong or was faulty in some way. Also, seeing your system make power and lower your bills is really cool.

Start with this model, then if you want to add more power later, simply buy another and plug into another socket.

All the best ...
Its important you use this in combination with a power meter like I linked above, otherwise you will never know if its working correctly.

Also make accurate power readings of your home now from your utility meter, so you have a good idea how many kw of power you use in a typical day.

Don't be like some fools that find out years later their cool and expensive solar system never made any difference because it was wired wrong or was faulty in some way. Also, seeing your system make power and lower your bills is really cool.
Many thanks for the link and best wishes.

Welcome to the forum. Do I remember correctly that you worked at Outback Power or have I seen your posts on that forum?

Welcome to the forum. Do I remember correctly that you worked at Outback Power or have I seen your posts on that forum?
Thank you. Yes! I did work at OutBack Power as an Engineer! Good memory! I guess there aren't many Gwendoly's in the world.

Back