diy solar

diy solar

Grid tie inverter search

Ntrain2k

Hello all,

My location does not support of offer net metering. I am looking for a grid tie inverter that can monitor what is being consumed by my house and then allow the inverter to feed into the house when my energy consumption is above what the system can provide.

Does such an animal exist?

Are you asking about an inverter that will never produce more than your house is using.....so the meter doesn't ever try to go backwards?

Zero Export - it uses current transformers to measure what comes from the grid for that purpose.
There are inverters which do that, also systems with batteries to store excess production.
However, batteries are generally not cost effective (cheaper to just discard power production you can't use immediately.)
So a zero-export system with suitable size PV array is best.
PV can cost less than utility rates, so oversize PV array and wasting some available production may be cheaper.

I'm pretty sure some cheaper units like MPP offer that. I think also more expensive ones like SolArk.
SMA does it with add-on components, certainly as part of some of their battery storage systems, not sure if just with GT PV inverters.

Zero Export - it uses current transformers to measure what comes from the grid for that purpose.
There are inverters which do that, also systems with batteries to store excess production.
However, batteries are generally not cost effective (cheaper to just discard power production you can't use immediately.)
So a zero-export system with suitable size PV array is best.
PV can cost less than utility rates, so oversize PV array and wasting some available production may be cheaper.

I'm pretty sure some cheaper units like MPP offer that. I think also more expensive ones like SolArk.
SMA does it with add-on components, certainly as part of some of their battery storage systems, not sure if just with GT PV inverters.

Do you possibly have any model numbers?

Mot grid tied inverters can be paired with a compatible power monitoring device at the point of supply, usually in the main circuit board, which connects to the inverter so the inverter can adjust output for export limitation (usually settable anywhere between zero export to no export limit).

Pretty all the major grid tied inverters brands can do this. Just specify you require export limitation as part of your installation.
Fronius
SMA
Huawei
Solaredge
Delta
Sungrow
Fimer (ABB)
Goodwe
Growatt
Solis
etc
etc

Being grid tied means it will operate in parallel with the grid supply so if the PV supply is less than load, the grid will supplement the inverter's output and obviously supply all of it at night.

Back