diy solar

diy solar

Grid tie inverter

Austin68

Hoping some one can answer this. I have been looking into installing a grid tie system for my house but the best area for the panels would be near the garage which is wired. It has a 240 panel in it already, so would it cause a issue if the inverter was installed at the garage panel?

Hoping some one can answer this. I have been looking into installing a grid tie system for my house but the best area for the panels would be near the garage which is wired. It has a 240 panel in it already, so would it cause a issue if the inverter was installed at the garage panel?
most? all? (i dont know of any that arnt) grid tied inverters are in fact 240v single phase. If your having to ask this question the level of complexity required for this kind of install is not for you.

most? all? (i dont know of any that arnt) grid tied inverters are in fact 240v single phase. If your having to ask this question the level of complexity required for this kind of install is not for you.
I'm a bit confused by your response. I understand the inverter is 240 single phase. And the panel in the garage is 240 single phase. My only question with a grid tie inverter is about not installing it at the pole and installing it in a shed instead.

I'm a bit confused by your response. I understand the inverter is 240 single phase. And the panel in the garage is 240 single phase. My only question with a grid tie inverter is about not installing it at the pole and installing it in a shed instead.
This is a what a typical grid tie inverter setup looks like. its way more than just a single inverter mounted to the wall. You can work with your professional installer on what wall realestate is avaiable and were to mount all the applicable hardware.

Safety-Disconnects.jpg

If you want your grid tie system to push 50 amps toward the grid but your garage is wired with only a 30 amp breaker and 30 amp wiring from your main panel, you will be limited to that 30 amps, if you connect the inverter in the garage. Does that help?

If you want your grid tie system to push 50 amps toward the grid but your garage is wired with only a 30 amp breaker and 30 amp wiring from your main panel, you will be limited to that 30 amps, if you connect the inverter in the garage. Does that help?
Thank you

Do you have separate meters for the garage as well as the house? Is the garage a sub panel off the house? Can you guess the distance between the garage me the utility meter?

Ideally you’d want your inverter to connect as close to the service drop/meter as possible.

Do you have separate meters for the garage as well as the house? Is the garage a sub panel off the house? Can you guess the distance between the garage me the utility meter?

Ideally you’d want your inverter to connect as close to the service drop/meter as possible.
I don't disagree at all but want to say "but ideal is not critical" for everyone's information. I have micro inverters on an array with a 250 foot AC run back to feed into my main breaker. I didn't want to afford to oversize the wire, so sized right at minimum for typical "load". During the 2 or 3 hours of peak production I see about 5 volts dropped across the 250 foot run. The "drop" is made up for by the inverters just increasing their output voltage so the current will flow. So I waste a bit of power during my solar peak, but it is okay in the grand scheme of things.

No the garage is on the same meter. From the meter the line comes down and splits off to the house and to the garage. It's 105 feet from the meter to the garage.

Back