diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tie Victron ESS with DIY LiFePO4 Battery in Australia - Regulatory Issues?

One way around that would be ignoring any mains feedthrough altogether, just run from the inverter fulltime, with a high capacity charger fed from the mains and set so that doesn't do much normally (ie the solar provides the bulk of the charging, with the mains charger only used when the battery bank is well down... ie max charge voltage is set lower than normal, so it kicks in on low bank voltage, but stops again when the bank is still well from being fully charged

This is a common tactic used in many offgrid systems with an automatic generator start backup- you don't 'want' the generator to run for a long period ($$$ for fuel) to fully recharge the battery bank, just provide the power enough to keep things running until the sun comes up again... then let the solar do the rest for free...
Best of all, with the auto start genpacks for a fully offgrid system- its all totally automatic- the genpack starts up at the 'critical' level, and only puts in enough to 'top it up a bit, then shuts down again- should the batteries drop enough again, it repeats until the solar does the rest of the bulk charge...
So effectively the entire system runs off the battery bank permanently, until the batteries are depleted to whatever level you set as your 'critical' level say 20% left, then the genny kicks in and runs for a short while (boosting up the charge partially say to 40%) and leaving the rest for the solar to do for free- by careful voltage selection, it is easy to do all this simply by selecting the appropriate volts low and max charge volts limits...

It does rely on the system being capable of handling the full loads (or multiple smaller systems each doing part of the loads) and in this case the mains grid takes the place of the 'backup' genny, with the offgrid inverter taking the place of the mains...- basically a standard system but running in reversed roles...

This is once again, something that is possible to do with already existing certified gear, making it much easier to do than trying to get past an inspection with non certified gear... (and of course once the electrical inspector has signed off, then you can do whatever you please on the 'offgrid' side legally lol- want more panels or more battery storage or a bigger inverter (up to the limits of the input)- just fit it and run...)
The other advantage is that in a pinch, you can just 'flip a switch' and it becomes a bog standard mains wired house- with increased bills of course- but should you have an equipment failure for any reason- you aren't left stranded or relying on a generator..., you still got that huge 'Gigawatts generator' running in from the street ;-)

One way around that would be ignoring any mains feedthrough altogether, just run from the inverter fulltime, with a high capacity charger fed from the mains and set so that doesn't do much normally (ie the solar provides the bulk of the charging, with the mains charger only used when the battery bank is well down... ie max charge voltage is set lower than normal, so it kicks in on low bank voltage, but stops again when the bank is still well from being fully charged
You sure are full of good ideas!

I have a spare 4 kW AIO which can act as a charger.

Indeed I recently hooked up this spare AIO to the home battery so I could test out using our EV's V2L as a means of providing supplemental charge if we had an extra long outage (instead of using a generator). I ran the test for 11 hours and took 22 kWh out of the car.

It is already completely monitor-able and controllable with Home Assistant, so charging can be controlled with automations, turning on/off as required and charge current can be ramped up/down as needed and/or based on available excess grid PV. It has a max grid charge current of 60 A DC, so ~ 3kW. These are the parameters I can control from Home Assistant (and there are dozens of other parameters I can monitor):

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 5.22.45 pm.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-23 at 5.22.56 pm.png

It is an extra energy overhead to use a second AIO but conceptually this would work well. The inverter can remain in power saving mode as it is not supplying loads.

I already have a 32 A power outlet which currently supplies the primary AIO's AC input. That power outlet could instead feed the spare AIO and charging can be managed with that, leaving the primary AIO to run from off-grid battery/solar all the time.

I really like this idea as I do very much dislike the primary AIO's switching between Utility mode and Solar/Battery mode each day.

I may even have a spare 32 A plug I can use.

I'm going to spend a bit more time thinking this one through some more...

Reactions: Bop
I been in the electrical trade since the 1980's (did my apprenticeship as an elec fitter on the railways) offgrid solar since about the same time, and got my gridtie installation and design ticket back in 2004- so had a 'little' experience with 'working around the bloody minded inspectors' that just want to have 'carbon copy' installs and are totally out of their depth when it comes to anything they haven't seen done before...

Done quite a bit of commercial work (where many inspectors have never even seen a solar install ever until recently) as well as those adding battery backup in the 'olden days' before they became the norm- many inspectors were simply 'nah hah' when it came to having a battery on gridtie solar systems, and many of us found 'legal work arounds' to get past them lol
You have to remember that many inspectors have literally zero electrical experience!!! they just have a list of things to look for and want to 'tick all the boxes' on their form- they literally don't know what to do when it isn't covered by their limited training...

You sure are full of good ideas!

I have a spare 4 kW AIO which can act as a charger.

Indeed I recently hooked up this spare AIO to the home battery so I could test out using our EV's V2L as a means of providing supplemental charge if we had an extra long outage (instead of using a generator). I ran the test for 11 hours and took 22 kWh out of the car.

It is already completely monitor-able and controllable with Home Assistant, so charging can be controlled with automations, turning on/off as required and charge current can be ramped up/down as needed and/or based on available excess grid PV. It has a max grid charge current of 60 A DC, so ~ 3kW. These are the parameters I can control from Home Assistant (and there are dozens of other parameters I can monitor):

View attachment 211013View attachment 211014

It is an extra energy overhead to use a second AIO but conceptually this would work well. The inverter can remain in power saving mode as it is not supplying loads.

I already have a 32 A power outlet which currently supplies the primary AIO's AC input. That power outlet could instead feed the spare AIO and charging can be managed with that, leaving the primary AIO to run from off-grid battery/solar all the time.

I really like this idea as I do very much dislike the primary AIO's switching between Utility mode and Solar/Battery mode each day.

I may even have a spare 32 A plug I can use.

just be cautious, my AIO sungrow battery output is not isolated from mains input so DC coupling might not work the way you want

This morning I hooked up the spare AIO for charging the battery. Unfortunately it looks as though the comms in my AIO is toast.

Comms were a bit intermittent to begin with, I did a bit of fiddling with settings and comms came alive and I was able to adjust parameters as normal. All good I thought, so I started it up charging the battery, and then set about writing some automations for it.

It was charging the battery just fine but at some point the comms were lost again and I was unable to revive them, trying everything I could think of. With that I lost any remote control I had. Naturally my new automations would not work.

So I disabled it and turned back on all the automations for my existing set up.

I've fired off an email to Solar Assistant support in case they have any bright ideas on what I may have missed with the AIO comms but I have a feeling the comms are toast. It still works as a charger and all the settings are accessible and adjustable from the AIO display panel, and that's handy for the using the EV V2L for supplemental charging as I just set one charge level and leave it but for this application I need the automated management to be working.

Bummer. Will see if there's some way to revive the comms but I'm not holding out any great hope.

Back