diy solar

diy solar

Grid-tie with backup advice

skeeters_keeper

I’m planning a grid tie with battery backup system. A single ground mount array of ~4kw, with manual seasonal tilt built in (panels undecided). Net metering will be priority, with batteries only for if the grid goes down. Location is central Virginia, our annual average consumption is 11.5kWh/yr.
The battery backup will need to power: freezer, fridge/freezer, well pump, select lights/receptacles. I’ve been data logging with an Emporia Energy home monitor to help size the battery pack.

The first and probably most important decision is picking an inverter. For simplicity I would prefer an AIO hybrid unit. It needs to be UL Listed for the utility, needs to have 240 split phase output, high voltage (400+v) DC for the PV, grid sell with automatic transfer switch. The new MPP LVX6048WP seems to tick all the boxes at a very cheap price, except it’s not available and I’m not sure I want to be one of the first ones to get it.
At this point I’m nearly decided on using a Sol-Ark 5K. It’s biggest downside is probably that it isn’t stackable, but I could AC couple a small additional array if needed and the company seems great/US based. The new 15k has some awesome features but I can’t justify the expense for a relatively small setup.

Batteries: I was considering doing a ~10kWh DIY LFP bank, but the price of the EG4 or SOK server rack batteries is making it hard to justify the hassle. I don’t need a huge battery bank to keep my critical loads going, and it’s also the easiest area to add capacity later.

I’ve been reading up the last couple months, playing with SAM, etc but I’d like to get any feedback from others on inverter/batteries before I start purchasing components.

I had looked at the outback and schneider, my issue with outback was really poor PV-batt-AC efficiency. Schneider price added up with the MPPTs + comms module to more than the sol-ark. Neither system seems to have any features that the sol-ark doesn't for as much or more cost.

I hadn't looked into the IQ8 much because I thought they were 240v (not split phase) grid tie only - now i looked closer and see that they are not. That is an appealing option, but it seems you can't use the enphase system with 3rd party batteries which is a pretty major draw back.

Thanks for the feedback!

I got a Solark 5k, 2x EG4 LLs, and 14x Solar Ever 370s.

I haven't finished getting everything set up yet (still building my ground mount and running wire) but it's getting there.

Back