diy solar

diy solar

Grid tied Inverter + Charger

etamminga

Hi,

We have an existing solar setup (SolarEdge) and are thinking of doing a small DIY Proof-of-Concept using batteries at night. We'd rather not touch the solar setup.

Does an inverter/charger combo exist that can just be connected to our mains which:
- intelligently charges when Solar power is flowing TO the grid
- intelligently inverts the correct amount of power when the household is consuming FROM the grid and battery power is sufficient.
?
If such a device exist; which device can you advise?

Living in the Netherlands, Europe. Grid is 220-240v. We have an intelligent utility meter with P1 output that can tell us the amount of power we use/sent To/From the grid. If P1 is not understood, I can make a converter that converts the P1 signal to analog, modbus or rs485 signal, if documented.

Regards,
Erik

Hi,

We have an existing solar setup (SolarEdge) and are thinking of doing a small DIY Proof-of-Concept using batteries at night. We'd rather not touch the solar setup.

Does an inverter/charger combo exist that can just be connected to our mains which:
- intelligently charges when Solar power is flowing TO the grid
- intelligently inverts the correct amount of power when the household is consuming FROM the grid and battery power is sufficient.
?
If such a device exist; which device can you advise?

Living in the Netherlands, Europe. Grid is 220-240v. We have an intelligent utility meter with P1 output that can tell us the amount of power we use/sent To/From the grid. If P1 is not understood, I can make a converter that converts the P1 signal to analog, modbus or rs485 signal, if documented.

Regards,
Erik

You do not need the P1 because usually this inverters have a limiter-meter that measures amps flowing in or out (on your main).
Because they are not allowed to feed to the grid.
Check out the Victron Multiplus II and Quattro inverters.
They even have a protected load AC output (like for PC)
They also can give power (in the AC in) to the house and SE inverters in a blackout (needs a disconnect device on your main)

Hi,

If I see this correctly the Multiplus and Quattro inverters have separate AC Inputs and AC Outputs.
I'm searching for a device that has a single AC connection that we can tell (with a current sensor or whatsoever) to charge or discharge a battery. Can these do that? I guess not!

If not, what products exist that do this?

We don't have to consider grid outages in NL, practically never happens. All may shut down in the case there is an outage.

Regards,
Erik

Hi,

If I see this correctly the Multiplus and Quattro inverters have separate AC Inputs and AC Outputs.
I'm searching for a device that has a single AC connection that we can tell (with a current sensor or whatsoever) to charge or discharge a battery. Can these do that? I guess not!

If not, what products exist that do this?

We don't have to consider grid outages in NL, practically never happens. All may shut down in the case there is an outage.

Regards,
Erik

It can give power out on the AC in port. So you can use it only AC in connected (and a battery).
To store power at day and release it (meter on your main) at night.

Check out this thread for more details:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/choosing-equipment-for-hybrid-system.29059/

Something like Sunny Boy Storage, which works as an AC battery?
It is supposed to store power produced by GT inverters, for markets where export and net-metering aren't allowed. It would also supply power to shave peak consumption.
Various devices/communication probably needed to implement some functions. I think communication with their Sunny Boy GT inverters would turn those off if battery full and still needed to prevent export.
External transfer switch can be used to make a backup system.
Disadvantage with these models is high-voltage battery, not sure anybody is using DIY batteries with them.

6kW

2.5kW

But consider replacing your SolarEdge with StorEdge, which supports batteries as well as PV.

Thanks all.
I really like the victron hw reading docs and viewing YouTube’s about its multiplus. Prices are not to bad for a PoC.
Will start considering building it.
Great help so far. Thanks

But consider replacing your SolarEdge with StorEdge, which supports batteries as well as PV.
The last time I looked at the Storedge it needed a high voltage battery. The only one that was able to interface was the LG Chem version which has been recalled and unobtainable.

You're right, 10H recalled recently. "August 04, 2021"
"Units:
About 10,000 (In addition, 2017-2019 RESU 10H were previously recalled for a fire hazard on December 16, 2020.)"

"Remedy:
Consumers with recalled batteries should immediately contact LG Energy Solution Michigan to schedule a free replacement. LG Energy Solution Michigan will arrange for modifications to recalled batteries that are connected online to reduce the risk of overheating until they can be replaced with new batteries. LG Energy Solution Michigan, its distributors, and its installers also are attempting to contact owners directly.
Incidents/Injuries:
The firm has received five reports of the lithium storage batteries smoking and catching on fire, resulting in property damage and one injury."

16H expected January 2022?

I would worry about any of these, keep reading of fires. A house is worth far more than a battery. I think they belong in a detached bunker.
LiFePO4 is better, but not completely risk-free.

Back