diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tied Inverter with Limiters

Mind sharing a little more about your setup? Panels, charge controller, battery? Also running the 2000w are you using the CT clamp? Did you modify and add another?
There’s a description of my setup under each of my comments. Yes I added an extra Ct. the Cts are wire together

My tests resulted in an 87% efficiency out of the 2000w GTIL2 inverters being powered by a 60v nominal battery
Nice.

My 1000W GTIL delivers a maximum of ~800W when powered by a 24V battery.

When powering your 2kW GTIL2 with a 60V battery, do you max out at a full 2kW or closer to ~1750W?

Nice.

My 1000W GTIL delivers a maximum of ~800W when powered by a 24V battery.

When powering your 2kW GTIL2 with a 60V battery, do you max out at a full 2kW or closer to ~1750W?
I limit each of my 2kw inverters to 1500w via the inverters amp setting which I set to 25amps

Sorry I don't see that on mobile.... I will have a look next time I am at a computer
5660w solar. Outback fm80 charge controller. 18.6kwh 16s Chevy Volt lithium. Two 2000w GTIL2 inverters. One 4000w reliable inverter.

Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to just get the zero-export Hybrid system permitted?

That raises a good point that has not been touched on before - any zero-export system is going to be much, much more useful / productive with an attached battery (even a relatively small one).

The OP should probably be including some cost for a battery in his system (if not already done).

Backup battery has not been mentioned. If backup power is needed, that’s going to need a big battery likely y to I become the most expensive component of the system.

Without wanting backup capability, I’ll use my system to illustrate the value of even a small battery.

Average consumption of my fridges is ~350kW with peak consumption of 600W from the single largest fridge when it is ready running.

My GTIL inverter has efficiency of only ~80%, so 440W average and 750W peak consumption from the source of input power to the inverter (solar array or battery).

So if my goal is to run my fridges off of solar for the highest-energy ~8 hours per day, I’d need a big-enough array to generate 750W from 8 or 9am to 4 or 5pm (probably at least 1.5kW if not 2.25kW).

Now let’s use that same 750W array to charging a 1kWh battery. As soon as output from the array reaches 750W, fridge can be powered off of solar, but when fridge cycles off, 750Wh/hour will continue to charge the battery. By the time solar pitot has dropped to 440W, fridge will be powered from bot solar array and battery when on and will replenish battery when off. Once solar power drops down below 440W, battery will stop fully replenishing as fridge continues to duty-cycle but will continue to supply enough energy to power the fridge for well over 2 hours.

Bottom-line is where a 750W array would only power my fridge for the peak 1-2 hours every day, addition of a very-modest 1kWh battery would at least triple if not quadruple that runtime and more importantly, would capture and make use of 100% of solar energy generated rather than wasting over 40% of it (the solar output is wasted when the fridge is not running).
fafrd: very good point. People always say that batteries are really expensive, and of course, they certainly can be. However, I've purchased, at different times, battery packs online complete with BMS, around 1kw, 24 or 48 volt, for less than $150 delivered. A good example was the Battery Hookup BMZ batteries. 700w @ 48 volt, $100 with wired BMS.
Batteries are very important for future-proofing.

I think it is Data Manager Lite with Ethernet cable to newer Sunny Boy which implements "Zero feed-in". I think the current transformers are connected to a 3rd-party device, but I haven't figured out the details. SMA had to do something for the Hawaii market in particular, because that got closed to new feed-in.

The "colorist" is completely up to speed on this topic. Maybe he will reach out and comment.

i see routinely 88-90% efficiency with the GTI2 200W- 450W solar in at 47V
That is one clear advantage of operating at higher battery voltage. My GTIL2s only deliver 80% efficiency operating at 26VDC…

Back