diy solar

diy solar

Grid tied inverter with storage (Hybrid?) - CSA/ULC or ESA Approval.

jimmay

I would like to install a split phase system with PV that will prioritise solar to sub-panel residential loads and only switch to grid power as required. This will allow me to reduce my on-peak electrical costs initially, but eventually I would like to have emergency backup by adding batteries to the system as I can afford them, then go off grid. Basically I would like to start with a modest system to reduce my electrical bill, but with room to grow by adding batteries for backup and eventually add enough batteries and PV to go off grid. I would also like to have a generator input to the inverter for those dark overcast fall/winter days and nights as an option. I have no interest in a microFIT or a net metering system.

Here is my concern. I live on 40 acres in rural Ontario Canada (higher electrical costs) and we have some very strict rules regarding installation and use of electrical equipment for residential use. Many of the popular hybrid inverters I see people here discussing such as MPP Solar and Growatt do not seem to have CSA/ULC certification, which is a requirement. I am aware that ESA can do a site specific special inspections for certification but that can be very expensive and time consuming. I have a mortgage and so I must have house insurance, and any non-certified or inspected installations will line me up for no insurance coverage if something goes wrong.

I would appreciate some advice in this regard, maybe a suggestion of a manufacturer or process I need to take. If it helps I am a licensed electrician and can do my own work, but I am not a Master Electrician so the work I do is under a home owner permit.

I am in the process of doing an energy audit of my home to determine my requirements. My current monthly average power usage from my utility is about 400 kWh, but I know I can reduce that. I also have a deep well pump so I will be sure to take into account inrush current at startup.

I have put together a small Victron system in my camper, and I am currently building a 1kW MPP Solar portable system with a 100 Ah SOK battery and 700W of Hanwha Solar Q.PEAK panels to learn how these things work. I am having fun and can see the benefits this can bring. Retirement is not far away.

Thank you,
Jim

I went with the Outback Skybox. It's good for 5kVA, and seems to have the most features and data. Two of them can be stacked for 10kVA total capacity. There's another competitor that's been discussed on here, SolArk.

According to the spec sheet it has these certifications: UL 1741 SA, CSA 22.2 No. 107.1, UL 1778 HECO Rule 14H SRD, CA Rule 21 SRD, IEEE 1547-2003, IEEE 1547.1-2005
Interconnection standards: IEEE 1547-2003, IEEE 1547.1-2005, HECO Rule 14H SRD, CA Rule 21 SRD Phase 1, 2, and Functions 1 and 8 of Phase 3

Cost is between US$3200 and US$3500.

I could also recommend my Schneider XW+6848. I use that to power my 1hp well-pump. It is also IEEE 1547, UL 1741-SA, Rule 21, Rule 14H, PREPA, and CSA 107.1 rated. Cost is about the same, at 3200$US

Thank you for your replies.

I have been talking with Solacity in Kemptville Ontario about the Outback Skybox and also have looked at the Schneider products.
I have also discovered that Growatt is now available in Canada with UL STD.1741, CSA STD, CSA C22.2 No.107.1 certifications through a partnership with Microgreen of Markham Ontario.

I am in early stages of planning, still doing my energy audit, and am strongly leaning towards the 5kW Growatt SPF 5000-US that I can later parallel to add capacity. Grid interactive so my batteries can be modest to start and grow as my system grows with the eventual goal of being off grid.

Jim

Thank you for your replies.

I have been talking with Solacity in Kemptville Ontario about the Outback Skybox and also have looked at the Schneider products.
I have also discovered that Growatt is now available in Canada with UL STD.1741, CSA STD, CSA C22.2 No.107.1 certifications through a partnership with Microgreen of Markham Ontario.

I am in early stages of planning, still doing my energy audit, and am strongly leaning towards the 5kW Growatt SPF 5000-US that I can later parallel to add capacity. Grid interactive so my batteries can be modest to start and grow as my system grows with the eventual goal of being off grid.

Jim
Have you got any pricing from microgreen as of yet? Wondering where they are landing...

Back