diy solar

diy solar

Grid-tied + Off-Grid Backup w/o batteries

Darius

Hello people,

I'm trying to figure out if I can setup a grid-tied PV system with some limited backup capabilities w/o batteries, using cheap normal inverters ($100/150).

My idea is to setup a normal Grid tied system but to add a transfer switch to the DC side to switch back and forth from the inverters and a transfer switch for the the AC system. This would be a best effort, day-only, backup, not having a battery buffer. I'm attaching a schema. I'd like to have the transfer switch operated remotely (Z-wave ? HASS ?)
Is this a setup someone already seen or experimented with ? The best would be if the inverter could switch between grid-tied and normal. Also I understand that hybrid inverters work disconnected from the network only if batteries are present, does a hybrid inverter which provides power without batteries, only from PV panels, exist ?

Attachments

• pvsystem.png
    pvsystem.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 25
You need serious panels to do this. 48v, and over 60Amps... I bet it can be done...

12*370W panels is the idea
Hi

I ha e the same goal and a similar install : 9.75 kwh of panels and Fronius Primo 11.4. I seriously considered many options and the batteryless function of the MPP 5kwh could work.....if only it can handle high dc power input ( I play btw 550 to 675 dc ....).

We could share idea and solution. Where are you at this point?

Back