diy solar

diy solar

Grid tied question

Greg martin

Hello everyone,

Obviously I'm new, I have some information but just enough to be dangerous. I would like to ask your opinions so that I can focus.

I want to add solar to my house. My wife wants it to be grid tied but once she feels comfortable we may add a battery system later. I have a 890 sq ft area on my garage that I can fully use for solar so I'm thinking 10 to 12 kw system. What grid tied inverters do you recommend? Any good deals on panels that could be shipped to Eastern Canada? What threads should I read to become better informed?

I can hire people to build it and get a few thousand in rebates but my experience is that if there are rebates than the cost goes up. I am comfortable with electrical, can get an electrician to finalize it but I don't think I need someone to put them on the roof. Any mounting suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch guys!

And hello from the halifax area of Nova Scotia!

Nice!
Is the garage attached to the house? NEC code requires solar on a building to have rapid shutdown, so, panel inverters is the logical choice for grid tie.
How does novia scotia handle permitting and metering?

Nice!
Is the garage attached to the house? NEC code requires solar on a building to have rapid shutdown, so, panel inverters is the logical choice for grid tie.
No, it is a detached garage although it is about 10' away. There is a sub panel that has a lot of un-used spaces.

Permitting and metering doesn't seem to be a problem but is you want their rebate you have to use a "verified" installer.

So panel inverters going directly into the sub panel? Nothing in between?

No, it is a detached garage although it is about 10' away. There is a sub panel that has a lot of un-used spaces.

Permitting and metering doesn't seem to be a problem but is you want their rebate you have to use a "verified" installer.

So panel inverters going directly into the sub panel? Nothing in between?
Oh, you will need fused combiners, disconnect boxes labeled as such, plenty of monitoring equipment boxes... purchase a install kit, and you will have what you need.

Nice!

So panel inverters going directly into the sub panel? Nothing in between
Oh, you will need fused combiners, disconnect boxes labeled as such, plenty of monitoring equipment boxes... purchase a install kit, and you will have what you need.

Well, I guess I need more education than I expected. Its either pay them extra thousands of dollars or....

Can you give me an example of a kit I would vmbe looking at? Perhaps I can reverse engineer a plan of attack from there.

Thanks.

Some grid tie solutions really don't allow for a battery system or off grid operations. So plan carefully if you want to have grid down power. Look for "hybrid inverters" which will do both.

Back