diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tied to House, PV on Shop - Batteries?

dan10101

Sorry for the length and I'm new to this so I may get some terms wrong.

I have a recently installed grid tied solar system. 7.9kw. Done professionally with a permit. They said I could easily add batteries later. I'm not finding that to be the case.

I have a house and a shop. The recently installed solar panels and micro inverters are located on the shop roof.

The house has 2 - 200 amp services. A and B. Off the B service is a line running to the shop to a 100amp 220 panel. The B panel would also serve as the Grid Down panel as all the critical loads are on that panel. The Solar system seems to be working fine. I want to add something like a Growwatt or Sol-Arc inverter and 48v battery bank. The question is will it work with the grid going into the house and the PV going in another building 100+ feet away.

So which building gets the inverter and how would I connect it? It seems to me I would have to give up automatic switching.

Thanks Dan

Sorry for the length and I'm new to this so I may get some terms wrong.

I have a recently installed grid tied solar system. 7.9kw. Done professionally with a permit. They said I could easily add batteries later. I'm not finding that to be the case.

Welcome to your typical grid-tie solar installation lie. Sorry to hear it.

I have a house and a shop. The recently installed solar panels and micro inverters are located on the shop roof.

The house has 2 - 200 amp services. A and B. Off the B service is a line running to the shop to a 100amp 220 panel. The B panel would also serve as the Grid Down panel as all the critical loads are on that panel. The Solar system seems to be working fine. I want to add something like a Growwatt or Sol-Arc inverter and 48v battery bank. The question is will it work with the grid going into the house and the PV going in another building 100+ feet away.

I would investigate AC coupling with the Sol-Ark (I don't believe Growatt units support it).

Welcome to your typical grid-tie solar installation lie. Sorry to hear it.

I would investigate AC coupling with the Sol-Ark (I don't believe Growatt units support it).
Thanks,
AC was one I was looking at. Apparently DC doesn't work with my micro inverters.
So would I hook up to the grid side at the house or to the PV side at the Shop? Or does it matter?

Back