diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount for 24 panels 41 x 83

ToBeSolar

Newbie here, I have decided to build my own ground mount with all 1 1/2" x 3/16" square tubing. The panels weigh 52Lbs each, I have figured out how to build the main support with the tubing running latitude and with tubes running longitude, using concrete in ground. Would any of you think this would be strong enough? I live 15 miles north of the Mississippi Gulf Coast where Hurricanes are a part life.

Newbie here, I have decided to build my own ground mount with all 1 1/2" x 3/16" square tubing. The panels weigh 52Lbs each, I have figured out how to build the main support with the tubing running latitude and with tubes running longitude, using concrete in ground. Would any of you think this would be strong enough? I live 15 miles north of the Mississippi Gulf Coast where Hurricanes are a part life.
Can you draw something showing how it will go together? How tall it is, is a big factor on the way it acts in the wind.

Yes I do. Why do you ask?
Because permitting is likely going to require an engineering stamp if you design it yourself. That's why I would be asking you if it's going to be permitted. Your questions about materials and cement are pretty much going to be nailed down by what the engineer deems sufficient to withstand the wind category for your county. I live in WA and my county tells me exactly the windspeed the design must withstand. Cheers

As @Munchie33 said, it is wind category, which is more about uplift than the weight of the panels. It may require more concrete, thicker posts and more diagonal bracing. There is a tradeoff between thicker posts or more posts. Manufacturers like Ironridge and others offer stamped plans using their products.

Last edited:
Can you draw something showing how it will go together? How tall it is, is a big factor on the way it acts in the wind.
I will gave photos as time permits, I have just finished the post to go into the ground, but that's it so far. Newbie slow Geeser.
It will be about 8' high going down to 32" for a 30degree slope x 42' and braced north, south, east and west. I can't draw a stick figure
much less a drawing of it. It will be much stronger than the sheetmetal mounts, ready available for a much higher cost. It will withstand
the Hurricane winds better than the PV's will. The jury is still out on that opinion and I hope it stays that way to never know just how it
blows in the wind.

Last edited:
Well, it has going very good with more learning on how to run the system. There is still more to learn in time. As this isn't my only interest. Right after I completed the solar, I started to remodel my living room and kitchen on solar power for 2 months. DIY also, when I get to old to do things diy, I suppose I'll wither and die. I don't like to pay for something I think I can do.
Here are some pictures of my system.
In the beginning of turning on the system for the first time, I had some Magic Smoke, Oh shut-up, yep the dreaded fried Krispy's sound within the first 5 minutes. What did I do wrong were my thoughts, after all this is a BIG learning curve for me as a non electrical loving person that I am.
I started looking around to hopefully find what was wrong. I found the only thing was I had was some solar panel wires going to the wrong current breaker. Not positive and negative crossed, but instead I had two positive wires going to a different breaker. It was working that way, it just wasn't correct, where you could tell what solar panel was powering what breaker. So was that it. Nope
So I called my supplier tech support and what fun that was. I explained what had happened, he said that they likely would replace what was wrong. Really ?! Oook. They well contact you again with what to do next, It will be awhile, as we are very busy with other customers. 10 days later I lost my patience and called them back to only be told the same thing, Great, this will be a cluster screwing. So nothing else that day. The next day another Tech emailed me on what I need to have for tools and what to test for. It will need to be filmed, recorded video. So I proceeded with that and emailed it to him. Another email from him telling me I will be sent on to the next TECH. What?!
The next day another email telling me what next to test and video. I email that back to him and another email another TECH tomorrow. This is Fun.
Not!
Next day the next Tech support guy, same thing. Bingo the problem was on the battery circuit board. Not my fault. Yahoo.
Another Tech will contact you on what to do next. Three Days later, I contact them, for them to say, we are very busy and your next tech support will contact you tomorrow. Yep, a screwed up mess, but at least I don't to pay for it. But it isn't over yet.
Another email what I thought I wanted to hear. We will send another inverter to you when we receive the fried inverter. What ?!
Yes, this is great news with a hitch. Two weeks later I get the new replacement inverter, and it is new, Thank You very much.
I installed it and the system has been working since.

I will take more photos of the Ground Mount possibly today. Sorry for the Rant, but I feel better and now you know the rest of the story.

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 11
Back