diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount ideas?

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
I've been researching ways to ground mount my panels and came across this adjustable system. Brad came up with a unique and what seems to be great idea: https://youtu.be/gHZCTBCteW0

The ability to have panels adjust/move would help me a lot since my area is surrounded by woods that I don't own.

I am looking at the best way to mount 12 panels by myself. This idea of using saw horse type mounting looks great, especially the adjustable part, but concerned about them toppling over. Considering taller legs to keep them out of the snow, but that would increase tipping probably. We won't be using them during the winter, or at least once the snow gets deep. I'm near the Tughill area of NYS and we can get a lot of snow.

Now trying to figure out the best way to maybe secure the legs into the ground some way.

Any thoughts? Is this idea stupid lol?

SawHorseAdjustable.png

Maybe splay the legs out more? Even if you need to put a cross brace across the legs to reduce the load.
That setup would never live where I am at due to high winds in the spring and fall, but I like the concept.
Edit: I personally like to make mine just hinge at the bottom and lift from there.
It seems more stable and easier to manage.

Last edited:
This was another idea I was looking at. I think it could be really costly with the price of lumber these days. This mount is adjustable and I could probably use the auto adjuster in my first post video to manage 2 panels each. This would be much sturdier than the saw-horse idea.

I will probably need to lay some geotextile down and cover with crush and run to keep the weeds away.

Dan Raspberry Rock Nice.png

Lumber is way back down. At least where I am.
Looks way overbuilt for 2 panels.
I agree. Seems way overbuilt. I'm actually looking at ways to scale it back as we speak. I like the large 6x6's on the ground to hold it down better but can really reduce size and weight above that.

6 panel (200w) adjustable mount
I used 4x4 posts and framed 2 panels between them.
Bolts through the 4x4 posts are used as a "hinge"
each set of two panels are independently adjustable (didn't think moving all 6 at a time was something I could manage)
I built this before the county required permits for ground mounts

in the 2nd photo's background is an adjustable frame I can move around for best summer/winter sun exposure

solar mount 4.jpg
solar mount 1.jpg

6 panel (200w) adjustable mount
I used 4x4 posts and framed 2 panels between them.
Bolts through the 4x4 posts are used as a "hinge"
each set of two panels are independently adjustable (didn't think moving all 6 at a time was something I could manage)
I built this before the county required permits for ground mounts

in the 2nd photo's background is an adjustable frame I can move around for best summer/winter sun exposure

View attachment 103779
View attachment 103781
And to add insult to injury, my ground is full of rock and roots. They had a hard time putting in the piers on our addition. So, I am trying to avoid digging holes if at all possible. Knowing that the best way for the long hall is digging, I'm trying to make the best of it.

And to add insult to injury, my ground is full of rock and roots. They had a hard time putting in the piers on our addition. So, I am trying to avoid digging holes if at all possible. Knowing that the best way for the long hall is digging, I'm trying to make the best of it.
Tell me about it. I didn't have to deal with roots but digging the holes was a real pain with all the rock.
The mobile mount has seen some good gusts without problem but I'm fairly protected from wind. I was going to use the rocks to weigh them down but never got around to it. I can imagine Tug Hill gets some serious wind (and snow)
You're about 90 miles from me in St. Lawrence County

This was my prototype mobile adjustable
Someday soon I'll fine tune the design
frame-closed.jpg
frame-open.jpg

I'll add mine:

20210821_180344-jpg.61111

Designed to take up to 6 x 500W panels, 4 x 500W installed. Before you mention shading, this is late in the evening in summer, when the sun is in the west, going north. The panels are oriented to the south, optimized angle for spring and autumn. There are a couple of spruce trees to the right on the picture that still have to be cut: they're dying/infested with carpenter ants anyway...

Tell me about it. I didn't have to deal with roots but digging the holes was a real pain with all the rock.
The mobile mount has seen some good gusts without problem but I'm fairly protected from wind. I was going to use the rocks to weigh them down but never got around to it. I can imagine Tug Hill gets some serious wind (and snow)
You're about 90 miles from me in St. Lawrence County

This was my prototype mobile adjustable
Someday soon I'll fine tune the design
View attachment 103811
View attachment 103812
I like that mobile design. Nice job!

You're not all that far from me. Tug Hill gets a lot of snow, but I am a little protected from the wind where the panels will be.

If I could just get rid of the deer flies, I would get this finished a lot sooner LOL

I'll add mine:

20210821_180344-jpg.61111

Designed to take up to 6 x 500W panels, 4 x 500W installed. Before you mention shading, this is late in the evening in summer, when the sun is in the west, going north. The panels are oriented to the south, optimized angle for spring and autumn. There are a couple of spruce trees to the right on the picture that still have to be cut: they're dying/infested with carpenter ants anyway...

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 3.29.16 PM.png
Unirac RM10 Ballasted Roof mount, on the ground. 10-deg tilt. Easy peasy installation!

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 5.30.13 AM.png

IronRidge Tilt-up Leg kit and Concrete Parking Curbs for Ballast blocks, spaced 4-ft apart. 9 blocks, 9 kits, 4 x 17' rails to mount 10 panels, under $100/panel.

I am acquiring components for my ground mount of bi-facial BlueSun panels (awaiting delivery). I love your concept as similar to mine. My plan is using new 2.375” OD pipe with uni-strut and stacking 2-high x 5-wide in portrait orientation.

Back