diy solar

diy solar

ground mount installation questions

DocDCS

Hello wise members,

I am looking to get a ground mount system installed at my house. I've been quoted $122,400.00 as the install price with one battery for a 32 KW system. Not knowing anything about pricing around solar I am curious on thoughts from people here.

Thanks!

THis is what they said "...the price has already been set at $2.81/watt. There is an additional cost of $.53/watt for a ground mount system, because of the extra time and materials needed to construct that racking system. A battery installed costs $15,000 and the final fee that is included is the banking UCC filing fee of $500. If there is anything else you need clarification on I would be glad to try help." is that helpful? What should I ask for in terms of breakdown?

$122,400.00? Do they throw in a house with every purchase?

I am right now in the process of building a ground mount to use with 4 -200w panels. The price is under $75 for materials. Course I have no permits, building department, planning commissions, and any other folderow to have to put up with.

Last edited:
so they didnt tell you the type of panels or the type of batteries or the type of mount ?

Hello wise members,

I am looking to get a ground mount system installed at my house. I've been quoted $122,400.00 as the install price with one battery for a 32 KW system. Not knowing anything about pricing around solar I am curious on thoughts from people here.

Thanks!
Sounds like the company is trying to put you in debt for $122,400 + Interest. Look into doing small DIY units and then once you've understood the concepts, you will probably be able to do the majority of your 32kw system yourself for a quarter of the price.

THis is what they said "...the price has already been set at $2.81/watt. There is an additional cost of $.53/watt for a ground mount system, because of the extra time and materials needed to construct that racking system. A battery installed costs $15,000 and the final fee that is included is the banking UCC filing fee of $500. If there is anything else you need clarification on I would be glad to try help." is that helpful? What should I ask for in terms of breakdown?
UCC filing fee? So you are financing this and they are putting a lien on your property?

Let's back up a bit and ask some basic questions.

Why are you doing this? To save money? Add value to your house? SHTF?

Last edited:
UCC filing fee? So you are financing this and they are putting a lien on your property?

Let's back up a bit and ask some basic questions.

Why are you doing this? To save money? Add value to your house? SHTF?
be off grid mostly as electrical prices continue to increase in my area. I don't know what SHTF means

Here is another qoute

Quote #56
Sent onMar 13, 2023
Total$104,085.80

PRODUCT / SERVICEDESCRIPTIONQTY.UNIT
PRICE
TOTAL
Solar Install37240$0.75$27,930.00*
Ground Mount AdderAdder for ground mount installation37240$0.50$18,620.00*
Material + Rentals37240$1.545
$57,535.80​
A deposit of $52,042.90 will be required to begin.

$104,085.80​
$0.00​
$104,085.80

Subtotal​

* Non-taxable

Oregon (0.0%)

AP DS3 Microinverters

Total​

Silfab 490 Solar Modules

Sunmodo Racking

This quote is valid for the next 15 days, after which values may be subject to change.

I see your quote is for an entire system and not just the ground mount. It is also a grid tie setup. (AP DS3 Microinverters). It might just be reasonable for your area.

Hello wise members,

Thanks!
My 44kW bifacial ground mount grid tie setup with 75kWh new lifepo batteries (15kWh wall batteries, 60kWh rack batteries,) is just over 50ke (~54k$) without any tax credits or anything like that. That price includes everything I can think of. And this is my first build, so I bet I could do it cheaper now that I (very) slowly start to understand what I'm actually doing. I do almost everything myself, so of course it's cheaper this way, but then my ground mount is much more expensive than a "conventional" ground mount would be.

ready front.jpg

Backside
20230316_153111.jpg

My 44kW bifacial ground mount grid tie setup with 75kWh new lifepo batteries (15kWh wall batteries, 60kWh rack batteries,) is just over 50ke (~54k$) without any tax credits or anything like that. That price includes everything I can think of. And this is my first build, so I bet I could do it cheaper now that I (very) slowly start to understand what I'm actually doing. I do almost everything myself, so of course it's cheaper this way, but then my ground mount is much more expensive than a "conventional" ground mount would be.

View attachment 140516

Backside
View attachment 140517
so the panels don't need to be directly facing the sun and are those poles wood or metal I can't really tell

be off grid mostly as electrical prices continue to increase in my area. I don't know what SHTF means
That's not enough information to give you an answer other than "don't do this". Much better ways to hedge future rate hikes and off grid is a total waste of money if you are already grid tied.

You've got to get some clarification before you accept either bid. It doesn't even say watts of what, or where. It could be a pile of used electric heaters and a flashlight battery.

I think you need to clearly understand what they're installing and get some performance guarantee and service commitment before you spend a penny.

Ask for a reference or two, also.

It's odd that the quote you posted is based on dollars per watt. I've never seen any solar installer do that kind of pricing. I've had many bids to install solar, roof mount as well as ground mount. The quote always gave the exact number of solar panels (manufacturer, type of panel, etc), the number of micro-inverters, back-up batteries, etc. In other words, the quotes spelled out exactly what I was getting.

This type of $/watt quote is very, very strange to me. Seems like this way, they can install whatever they want just to get the final goal of 32kw. If you were traveling, and someone quoted you transport from LA to NY at $.75/mile, would you do it? Or would you inquire if it's by bus, mule, private jet, commercial airline, or a nice pair of shoes?

Last edited:
so the panels don't need to be directly facing the sun and are those poles wood or metal I can't really tell
Well, ideally they would turn facing sun at all times, but as they are bifacials and vertically mounted without any backside obstruction, they should be ok even fixed like this. This has to do with the fact that I'm located more north than Anchorage, Alaska. Up here they benefit from midnight sun at summer and low sun angle at winter plus there's no snow accumulation on them.

Those are old electric poles (impregnated wood) and they are the cheap part of my ground mount. There's a link in my signature to my build topic.

Here is another qoute

Quote #56
Sent onMar 13, 2023
Total$104,085.80

PRODUCT / SERVICEDESCRIPTIONQTY.UNIT
PRICE
TOTAL
Solar Install37240$0.75$27,930.00*
Ground Mount AdderAdder for ground mount installation37240$0.50$18,620.00*
Material + Rentals37240$1.545
$57,535.80​
A deposit of $52,042.90 will be required to begin.

$104,085.80​
$0.00​
$104,085.80

Subtotal​

* Non-taxable

Oregon (0.0%)

AP DS3 Microinverters

Total​

Silfab 490 Solar Modules

Sunmodo Racking

This quote is valid for the next 15 days, after which values may be subject to change.
Takes just over 2 pallets of these, so less than $25K plus some freight. https://www.solarflexion.com/produc...W2laWG8DF91bR2KQMpFJCEwS5iBrwbZBoCo3gQAvD_BwE

As for the Sunmodo Racking, it must be this mount. https://sunmodo.com/sunturf-ground-mount/

Basically a ground screw, you could put this up yourself. It can be bought here. https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...und-Mounting-System-ground_1600321370100.html

$0.10 per watt so $3200 and I'll be generous and add $1,000 for shipping. $4200

Micro inverters are $170-$200 each. Takes 1 per 2 panels so you need about 32 of them. $6400

Wire, some controls like disconnect, permitting and some inspections. Let's just figure $3,000

Comes to $38,600.

$104,085 minus $38,600= $65,485

I'm in the wrong racket.

I will say a few years ago (2018) I priced a grid tie system, 19.2Kw ground mounted and the price was $41,000 installed and all permits done. But did not include digging and a few other items he would farm out.

View attachment 140516

Backside
View attachment 140517
What latitude are you at? Was a vertical mount more efficient production-wise (and less expensive) than a flat mount, or were there other reasons for that choice? Do the panels swivel?

Takes just over 2 pallets of these, so less than $25K plus some freight. https://www.solarflexion.com/produc...W2laWG8DF91bR2KQMpFJCEwS5iBrwbZBoCo3gQAvD_BwE

As for the Sunmodo Racking, it must be this mount. https://sunmodo.com/sunturf-ground-mount/

Basically a ground screw, you could put this up yourself. It can be bought here. https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...und-Mounting-System-ground_1600321370100.html

$0.10 per watt so $3200 and I'll be generous and add $1,000 for shipping. $4200

Micro inverters are $170-$200 each. Takes 1 per 2 panels so you need about 32 of them. $6400

Wire, some controls like disconnect, permitting and some inspections. Let's just figure $3,000

Comes to $38,600.

$104,085 minus $38,600= $65,485

I'm in the wrong racket.

I will say a few years ago (2018) I priced a grid tie system, 19.2Kw ground mounted and the price was $41,000 installed and all permits done. But did not include digging and a few other items he would farm out.
This is exactly what I was looking for. SO way less expensive for a DIY.

Back