diy solar

diy solar

ground mount installation questions

I've done the numbers a lot lately for both arbitrage (in Northern California) and battery backup.

I'm never going to hit 6000 cycles for power outage proof before hitting calendar aging on the battery. Unless shit hits the fan. But the convenience vs generator maintenance would be nice. I may need the generator for 72 hours a year over 10 years.

My generator was $900, that's compared to like $2500 for a 5kWh server rack + cheapest AIO + Balance of system (not possible for non-UL9540 to replace a grid tie system in California, so you can't make the argument that I can consolidate the AIO with my existing inverter). Gas per power outage is $10 - 2 gallons, for the quality of life I've had lately. A 3% discount rate / opportunity cost on $1600 already pays for most of the gas.
You use the generator for load reduction like a UPS system can be used?

No need to answer, I already know the answer.

I think many think installing a solar system is an all or nothing proposition. It doesn't have to be, a UPS system can be used for load reduction, after a period of time the system paid for itself, no ongoing costs such as with a generator.

My cousin told me I should have just used a generator for my truck camper. I already know I made the right decision installing solar, just no comparison.

I have 100% net metering based on time of use rates, with a tax of -$0.02/kWh for non-bypassable charges, so the possible payoff from load reduction via battery is not that good.

You seem stuck in "grid tie with interconnection agreement mode".
Of course I don't use the generator for load reduction, that is a big loser.
You don't say.

Also load reduction with UPS with improperly listed hardware not approved for parallel operation with POCO adds its own risks.

Who said parallel? Standalone operation.

You are looking at this from the angle of someone who is tied to a grid tie system already instead of someone that has nothing.

Either from pissing off the POCO or adding extra stress on the loads that I have attached from transferring it on/off grid.

Again, you are looking at this from a grid tie with interconnection agreement. I'm looking at it from a whole different perspective.

Properly listed hardware is >$0.70/kWh. Maybe like $1kWh. I don't know the exact $ b/c I want good ROI and that is not it, so as soon as I count up to $0.70/kWh up front it's a nope
It's pointless to discuss this with you as you seem to be stuck on only one scenario.

My expected cost over the expected lifespan of 6,000 cycles on my LFP bank is $0.023/Kwh

How is a generator cheaper long term?

The generator scenario was for the random power outages. What is your LFP cost per kWh if you only use 30 cycles every couple of years? ($137/kWh)

The “generator scenario” for random power outages is another reason for my PV system.

It’s easier for me to maintain a clean energy system that runs 24/7 than randomly chase after technology in a pinch that was developed when <2% of U.S. homes had electricity. Nowadays, I can build a PV system for not much more money than a new and reliable Honda generator for the same load. Harbor Freight messes up the math on that, but still…

Nowadays, I can build a PV system for not much more money than a new and reliable Honda generator for the same load. Harbor Freight messes up the math on that, but still…
How did you manage to do that? Do you live in one of those tiny homes?

The generator scenario was for the random power outages. What is your LFP cost per kWh if you only use 30 cycles every couple of years? ($137/kWh)
The solar UPS model can be used for load reduction daily.

That is what started me down the path of DIY solar. Why not build a battery for power outages instead of purchasing a standby genny? My bank with a Batrium BMS, cost $11K, tax credit lowers my cost to $7700 and that is a large battery. I could have shaved off some of the cost using something like a JK BMS, maybe $1,000 or a little more.

Typical 13Kw standby generator to equal my system size of 2 inverters will cost about $4500 and up. You have to use a standby with automatic operation to compare to a solar UPS system as the solar UPS system is automatic. You do not get a tax credit for a standby genny. The cost of the PV system doesn't factor in it, that would be there if you went grid tie with genny backup. One might debate the cost of the 2 inverters and the other items required, but really if you have a grid tie system with genny backup, you still have to buy an inverter/inverters to utilize the power from PV.

That comes to a difference of $3K. If using the battery daily, that lowers the cycle cost. It doesn't matter if the battery is smaller and simply used for load reduction on a few critical circuits daily. It costs less each day per Kwh it is used. I have to use propane cost per Kwh as there isn't natural gas here or diesel, however from sources such as this one, the average price per gallon of diesel today is not as low as quoted and I do believe it will rise in cost in the future. If the cost of producing power from a standby propane genny runs $0.45/Kwh including maintenance, how many Kwh does one need to recoup the extra $3K the battery cost?

6667Kwh, after that the cost gets lower each cycle. I use 50Kwh per day off my bank, the result is 133 days cost recovery for the extra cost when using the battery daily while the standby genny only provides cost recovery when it is used.

$122,400.00? Do they throw in a house with every purchase?

I am right now in the process of building a ground mount to use with 4 -200w panels. The price is under $75 for materials. Course I have no permits, building department, planning commissions, and any other folderow to have to put up with.
Bought these cheap. 2 panels per rack.

Back