diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mount on Hill

Was thinking about contacting him. The only metal roof that will last here is standing seam and that would cost $40k. Chose a GAF high wind certified single system with 50 year non-prorated warranty for $8k. The other 32k is now earmarked for solar ;).
Want to cut down some trees?

It's always easy to find a property with little to no trees or cut over in past few decades.. rare to see full canopy like that.. so I can feel her heartburn :)

It's always easy to find a property with little to no trees or cut over in past few decades.. rare to see full canopy like that.. so I can feel her heartburn :)
@rhino we bought this place for that reason. High elevation on east coast with heavy forest. Love it here. Just want to prep a bit. If the country goes more in the shitter, want to come here, have power and well water via solar. Our primary residence is in a city so this is an awesome change to come here a week a month. Just need to figure it out. Spent too much time researching inverter and batteries…not enough time on how to absorb energy. Love the Raidian product. Would like Solark but worried about surge even though their literature says it can handle it.

@Kornbread
Have to convince the wife of that. Had to cut a few for my StarLink which gave her heartburn. Figure an 300x300ft plot would give me a nice area for some panels without shade issues. She also may bury me there.
I feel ya. Downing some trees would help my solar production immensely, but other that the couple shallow rooted pines in close proximity to the house, they will stay put. Have you though about a fire break?

I know you said your well is relatively new, but wondered how deep the well is and if it is 240V? Asking since you can get efficient 120V well pumps with no surge. If that is your only 240V load and replaced it with a grundfos 120V pump that would give you more options as far as power systems.

I feel ya. Downing some trees would help my solar production immensely, but other that the couple shallow rooted pines in close proximity to the house, they will stay put. Have you though about a fire break?
Wouldn’t know where to begin.

Attachments

• 9A5A4CC0-572D-4439-925F-FA4941E75D30.jpeg
    9A5A4CC0-572D-4439-925F-FA4941E75D30.jpeg
    675.9 KB · Views: 10
I know you said your well is relatively new, but wondered how deep the well is and if it is 240V? Asking since you can get efficient 120V well pumps with no surge. If that is your only 240V load and replaced it with a grundfos 120V pump that would give you more options as far as power systems.
Pump was replaced in 2020 and it’s 600ft per the permit. We bought the place in Jan 2021. It’s 240v at 37a surge 6.25a run. We have other 240c loads such as electric baseboard heat and stove/oven. We just run the wood stove on the lower level when it’s cold. Fireplace on top level draws all the heat out, only use it for aesthetics and when mild. When not here we keep the baseboards at 45°. Not looking to take those to solar.

@rhino we bought this place for that reason. High elevation on east coast with heavy forest. Love it here. Just want to prep a bit. If the country goes more in the shitter, want to come here, have power and well water via solar.

So put in the ground mount, enjoy summer electric production, cut a little firewood for winter heat.
If SHTF, cut more trees and have more PV.

OTOH, roof mount is more secure against theft. Especially that roof.

Last edited:
Back