diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mount or Roof Mount on Shop?

you would need a wifi extender if it is too far away.. the ESP's do not have strong WiFi's in them. I don't think you can write to USB with the ESP either but they may have made changes since I worked with them.

Wi-Fi extenders are inexpensive these days, install it closest to the location you can, set it up on your network and all should work.

So, I haven't worked with a little solar project like this before. I like the ESP setup, however I think maybe the rasp pi would better suit my needs with onboard datalogging. What type of battery setup with the panels would you recommend?

They'll still be about 500ft away from the closest place I can get to, at the best. The other will probably be close to 2x that distance.

NOTE: none of these links are affiliates, I'm sharing the items I purchased on my own and use today.

If you want to use a rPi, you will need at least 5 watts to power it. I would use a small lifepo4 battery like this one..

use a couple of these buck/boost converters.. one from a 15 watt solar panel to the battery (13.6V) and one from the battery to the pi (5v)

It might have days that are cloudy and it won't run.. the 15 watt panel will need to be seperate from the sensor cell but it is 3x the need of the pi and should keep the battery charged.. You can decide to not use a battery at all and feed directly off the a 15 watt panel but it will shut down every night ungracefully.

This is just a starter, you get the idea..

Thanks for the tips! I'll put together a little list of parts on here. That way if someone else is interested in this they can follow what I do and see your large contribution as well.

Will do. I may need a little assistance here and there. I think I'll start putting the hardware list together and get everything ordered before the weekend is up. I'm very busy, however the sooner I can implement this the better. Or maybe, if I can muster the time, I'll shoot for parts ordered before the week is over and receive them early next week. That sounds better.

You do not list the pitch of your roof or the building orientation. I just finished my 7.5 kw system on an 8/12 pitch and it was, hmmm, difficult as I don't bend to those positions easily any longer. My orientation is 190* and the flush mount Ironridge hardware was excellent. I say that after having been in the solar business back in the late 70's during the thermal days and I built a lot of custom racks. They all worked, but the Ir system was a revelation. I do not have the space for ground mount. If I did, I likely would have gone ground simply for access. If there is a definition of diminishing returns it is me in my 70's continuing to go up on that roof for service. So, pitch, orientation of the building and shading? Flush or stand-off on the building? For a ground mount, will you consider elevating them for storage beneath? That would seem to offset the advantage of ground, but that would depend upon your lay-out. I am fighting the wireless issue myself. I bought a Ubiquiti Nanostation system but am still considering getting a hard wire out there...which I would prefer. I tend to fix electronic issues with a hammer. Taht is a personal problem of course but seems to be the way it is. Looking forward to hearing how things progress for you

Back