diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mount Racking System Questions

Aislinn Fox

We have been looking at ground mount options for our solar panels and recently ran across a company selling a solar racking system (APA Solar Racking) that does not appear to require as much effort to install as most of the other commercial options. The system uses what I would describe as a giant screw that is twisted into the ground and this holds the vertical poles. Depending on the options, it is rated for up to 225 km/hr winds and high snow loads which more than meet our requirements.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Did it work as you expected? Any problems in the installation? Any other companies you would recommend?

While I am asking about ground mounts, what do people typically use to prevent larger animals from rubbing against the mounts/panels on ground mounts and causing damage. The lower edge of the panel is only 1 metre off the ground so even a small deer could decide to use a panel to scratch a hard-to-reach itch. What is typically done to prevent this problem? Set the panels higher, use an electric fence… Any ideas would be helpful but I have been told I cannot use a fiery moat or trained tigers.

Thanks

We have been looking at ground mount options for our solar panels and recently ran across a company selling a solar racking system (APA Solar Racking) that does not appear to require as much effort to install as most of the other commercial options. The system uses what I would describe as a giant screw that is twisted into the ground and this holds the vertical poles. Depending on the options, it is rated for up to 225 km/hr winds and high snow loads which more than meet our requirements.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Did it work as you expected? Any problems in the installation? Any other companies you would recommend?

While I am asking about ground mounts, what do people typically use to prevent larger animals from rubbing against the mounts/panels on ground mounts and causing damage. The lower edge of the panel is only 1 metre off the ground so even a small deer could decide to use a panel to scratch a hard-to-reach itch. What is typically done to prevent this problem? Set the panels higher, use an electric fence… Any ideas would be helpful but I have been told I cannot use a fiery moat or trained tigers.

Thanks
Fence or solar powered fence charger…?

Back