diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mount Span

Diagonals would be better, but would have seriously messed up my storage area under the array. I would have done it regardless if it was needed, but it isn't.

What's really impressive is to stand at the far side where the array is tallest.. the wind is funneled to the end. Even with a 5 mph breeze, there's enough air current at that side to install a wind turbine and probably generate significant power from it.

My arrays, and my attic, are useless as storage for that reason. I originally installed flashing on the uprights, intending to put in corrugated plastic roofing to make a dry area.

One or two diagonals takes care of the horizontal runs pretty much regardless of length. The front uprights would be best with a diagonal for each one, but since they're so short and fat they aren't a problem either. Yours appear about 2' tall (and 3" trade size pipe). Mine are about 4' and 2". If someone built a carport height array they would need it.

Since OP is making an awning tied into the house, that probably eliminates need for bracing in that direction, even if 8' tall 2 pipe. It's only the strength of the long horizontal that concerns me.

A wind turbine with airfoil shape won't work well due to the turbulence. A "drag" type device might, like an anemometer or split drum.

My arrays, and my attic, are useless as storage for that reason. I originally installed flashing on the uprights, intending to put in corrugated plastic roofing to make a dry area.

One or two diagonals takes care of the horizontal runs pretty much regardless of length. The front uprights would be best with a diagonal for each one, but since they're so short and fat they aren't a problem either. Yours appear about 2' tall (and 3" trade size pipe). Mine are about 4' and 2". If someone built a carport height array they would need it.

Since OP is making an awning tied into the house, that probably eliminates need for bracing in that direction, even if 8' tall 2 pipe. It's only the strength of the long horizontal that concerns me.

A wind turbine with airfoil shape won't work well due to the turbulence. A "drag" type device might, like an anemometer or split drum.

I didn't even put the diagonal braces on my array until I added the 4 panels at each end. The original setup was just the 28 SolarWorld 270w panels.. Then I wanted more power so I added the 8 400w Qcells to the end and thought I should put some diagonals there to help out in case my math was off a bit or mother nature got extra nasty.

I still don't think they're needed...

The structure makes for a good place to hang deer.. LOL

Nice work! I used 2" pipe (pics a few posts above) but buried the concrete footers 6-12" under the ground because I read that freeze/thaw might crack the concrete over time. Did this come up in your design decisions? do you get freezing? - maybe what I read doesn't apply :)

It’s not cracking but frost line heaving. And it’s a powerful and real problem.

Short explanation:

I'm seriously starting to think when in doubt overbuild. The difference in price between a 2x6 steel tubing with .250 wall and 2x4 steel tubing with .120 wall is like $300. What's $300 in the grand scheme of a $8000 project?

And according to that calculator the 2x6 will get me a safety factor of 3 while the 2x4 tubing gets me a safety factor just a little over 1. It might be hilariously overkill, but it will last longer than the house then.

I'm seriously starting to think when in doubt overbuild. The difference in price between a 2x6 steel tubing with .250 wall and 2x4 steel tubing with .120 wall is like $300. What's $300 in the grand scheme of a $8000 project?

And according to that calculator the 2x6 will get me a safety factor of 3 while the 2x4 tubing gets me a safety factor just a little over 1. It might be hilariously overkill, but it will last longer than the house then.

Luckily in TEXAS you can find literally millions of miles of older 32-38 feet 2.5-3.5 inch diameter OIL pipe that they literally have trouble giving away ... anywhere between El Paso and Van Horn - down to Brownsville you can get the stuff for about a $1 a foot and they come in about 35 feet sections ... so most ppl make their own panel mounts with that -- and a $150 Harbour Freight welder ...

I'll keep that in mind. I have a friend that owns an oilfield business and he might have some scrap laying around.

Back