diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mounted 9,600 watt Sol Arc do it yourself solar system-Solar Pirate

Are you thinking metal into cement into gound (like pipes) or something else ?for the array structure
My wood is all PT and does dot touch the ground at all.
I also have a small space between panels for air and expansion-if I recall its only about 1/2 to3/4 of an inch at max
Right now just mounting the panels on Unistrut I will move them around with my ATV blade until I decide on a permanent location.

Ok a portable deal. If you can get ahold of a solar sun locator (I'll send a photo later) it shows you the best location on your property. Its a small tool (our local sub utility has them on loan to use) You set it up maove it around it show the whole year in a 180 view and you can find the sweet spot. Its the easy way to do that.I'll look up that info later-got to go

Last edited:
Here is that tool
it shows any shading by month-you trace the line with white marker and keep that as the templates pop into tool.I have used this twice in about a 10 year span-not worth buying but many places have them for loaning
beats the heck out any web /phone based tool in my opinion as it shows your shaded item in a 12 month period. Maybe some solar phone apps could have this but I have yet to see one.
Let us know if anyone knows of one?

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I caved and ordered another 7.5 Kilovault Batterey and will get it next tuesday In Ukiah .Its a UL approved HAb 4. Heck whats another 5k for a Pirate
My new 4/0 battery cables came from Battery Cable USA as well for the combiner connection to Sol-arc. Theyt where 2/0 but now its 450 amps so upsized them a bit.
This is my last upgrade (I have said that before)

Update on the update
I just got another 7.5 KW has 4 battery from Alt-e and will install over next few days. This will make for 22.5 total KW in battery backup.
My cables came in from( Battery cables USA ) Extreme Copper battery cables . I matched my other 10 foot ones (lug hole to lug hole) in 1/0 gauge battery to buss and am upgrading the 2 foot length buss to inverter with new 4/0 extreme copper cables.
These cables are top quality and the shipping is free and fast.
Super flexible and made right..

Screenshot_2022-05-12_09-15-36.png

You mentioned to leave these gaps between the panels for expansion. Do you have any plans to cover them with rubber or silicon to prevent water infiltration during heavy rainfall into the lower panel's connection box?
I've seen ground mounts on youtube, and this question always came up for me.

No the boxes on panels which are underneath stay pretty dry and are waterproof . The panels have a drip edge all the way around so water does not wick up on panel bottoms ever. There is no need to seal any gaps between panels

Last edited:
Some geometry?

Span between front to back,

Space between support posts.

From height and back. (Ground to top of cross beam)

I have a similar design 8’ at back and 16” at front. Instead of concrete I was going to use 12’ 4x6 with 4’ in the hole with secure set.

Any thoughts?

Mine is on a hill but I will go measure some of it for you in the rain.Look at my photos for the slopping hill.
The PT in ground will rot out over time-how much is hard to say. Everywhere is different. The cement and brackets make it permanent -no rot.
My spans post to post on the 4x6 uprights is 12 feet apart . The cross member is 2x8s. On the high side the cross member is about 80 inchs on average above ground-the backside has 2-2x6 and 2x4 holding a 5/4 cedar fence . I put in a diagonal 2x4 in the outer bays for cross support.
The down hill side is buildt the same only very short 4x6 and the crossmember is about 3 feet off ground and the diagonals are short and coming at 44 s from uprights. The two crossmembers are 9 feet 4 inch apart-thats the span the unistruts span holding up the array which is 13.5 feet x 40 feet-its if I recall about 38 degrees slant at our latatude of 40 degrees
The hill is really is irregular.
If I was you I would forget about wood in ground and spend the extra dollars for cement in holes with some brackets. 8 galvanized brackets (simpson strong ties) about 200-250$ and last a lifetime

Last edited:
Nice work! I just did a similar unistrut racking system on my metal roof.

Where did you get your copper ground wire lugs that you bolted through your pv frames? I’m looking online and they are not the most straight forward to find. Finding 6 packs of them on Amazon (of various quality) but I need 31 and hoping for higher quality. Also do you think the 8 gauge wire is sufficient for lightning? I know inspected systems require 6 gauge (going to get the big spool but not sure which gauge to get)
Thanks in advance if you see this!
Mine is on a hill but I will go measure some of it for you in the rain.Look at my photos for the slopping hill.
The PT in ground will rot out over time-how much is hard to say. Everywhere is different. The cement and brackets make it permanent -no rot.
My spans post to post on the 4x6 uprights is 12 feet apart . The cross member is 2x8s. On the high side the cross member is about 80 inchs on average above ground-the backside has 2-2x6 and 2x4 holding a 5/4 cedar fence . I put in a diagonal 2x4 in the outer bays for cross support.
The down hill side is buildt the same only very short 4x6 and the crossmember is about 3 feet off ground and the diagonals are short and coming at 44 s from uprights. The two crossmembers are 9 feet 4 inch apart-thats the span the unistruts span holding up the array which is 13.5 feet x 40 feet-its if I recall about 38 degrees slant at our latatude of 40 degrees
The hill is really is irregular.
If I was you I would forget about wood in ground and spend the extra dollars for cement in holes with some brackets. 8 galvanized brackets (simpson strong ties) about 200-250$ and last a lifetime

Where did you get your copper ground wire lugs that you bolted through your pv frames? I’m looking online and they are not the most straight forward to find.
Finding 6 packs of them on Amazon (of various quality) but I need 31 and hoping for higher quality. Also do you think the 8 gauge wire is sufficient for lightning? I know inspected systems require 6 gauge (going to get the big spool but not sure which gauge to get)

Where did you get your copper ground wire lugs that you bolted through your pv frames? I’m looking online and they are not the most straight forward to find. Finding 6 packs of them on Amazon (of various quality) but I need 31 and hoping for higher quality. Also do you think the 8 gauge wire is sufficient for lightning? I know inspected systems require 6 gauge (going to get the big spool but not sure which gauge to get)

Where did you get your copper ground wire lugs that you bolted through your pv frames? I’m looking online and they are not the most straight forward to find.
Finding 6 packs of them on Amazon (of various quality) but I need 31 and hoping for higher quality. Also do you think the 8 gauge wire is sufficient for lightning? I know inspected systems require 6 gauge (going to get the big spool but not sure which gauge to get)
Regarding 8 vs 6 AWG for array grounding purposes. 6 is code if ‘exposed’ but neither are for lightning protection or grounding. They are EGC’s between metal components of the system and all should go back to the main common grounding electrode for the power system/service. Lightning protection is a separate and entirely different animal.

I got them from Home Depot in packs -4-6? I do not recall. Sorry about the late reply I just saw this-If you have not done thios I can gtake a photo of them.let me know

Back