diy solar

diy solar

Ground to house panel? Victron Multiplus

SolarFamily

Setting up a basic powerwall for home to cover short term power outages. Plan to add solar panels once I get the inverter+battery working grid-tied.

Entire setup is basic at this point:
  1. Multiplus 24/3000/70. Firmware updated. Mounted to basement wall. *Not grounded yet.*
  2. bigbatterycom 24V A123 2.45kWh battery (one now, but will expand)
  3. Heavy gauge plug from AC-IN on Multiplus to simple 20amp wall outlet next to home electrical panel (13A limit set on multiplus). Then, heavy gauge extension cord on AC-OUT to power fridge and misc. essentials during power outage.
Idea is to charge off grid power (in the immediate) and use only for essentials during outage.

Problem: If battery is plugged in, home circuit breaker trips within seconds. *Multiplus is currently not grounded, so I understand this may be a key factor.

Question 1: Is the tripping likely due to case not being grounded? Or, is it surging too many amps on initial charge (note I have it set to 13A IN limit, but still trips) and I simply need a bigger breaker?

Question 2: Where should I safely ground it? Wouldn't it be natural to simply pop the home electrical panel and run grounding wire to main panel ground bar?

Thank you for your input; this is an awesome community!

1: possibly, but if the OUT is just an extension cord, I doubt it. There is both an AC-in limit and a charger limit. I would confirm that they're set to be compatible. I would try cutting the power way down to 5A and see if the behavior changes. If that's not a dedicated breaker, you could be tripping it because of other loads on that circuit.

Also try power-on via pre-charging the caps and connecting battery BEFORE the breaker is ON.

Also try in "charger only" mode if it doesn't work in "ON"

2: Yes. bare metal portions of the case are grounded by default. I'd do it the way you propose.

Thanks for the input. I tried lowering max draw setting to 7.7 (lowest it will go) and pre-plugging in battery/turning battery on prior to turning on the Multiplus. Same problem - trips breaker almost immediately. I'll grab some grounding wire and patch into main house panel and report back.

There's no way that AC out is on the same circuit as AC-in, right?
To clarify, there's no load plugged into the AC-out, just the extension cord waiting for a load. I had tested that earlier: with the battery disconnected, the Victron passed power from house circuit > into AC-in > Victron passes directly through to AC-out and powered a test device fine. In that sense, I guess the AC out is on [fed by] the same circuit as AC-in.

Back