diy solar

diy solar

grounding a solar system in a 5th wheel

Kretzer

I have a quick question. I am installing a solar system into the passthrough compartment in my 5th wheel. I know I need to run a wire from the lynx distributor to the 12v connections in the front bay to enable the 12v lights, hydraulic levelers and the slides. Going to connect to the current breaker that is there. I am also going to ground the lynx to the frame close to the install site in the pass through. Do i need to run both positive and negative to the front compartment? or can I just run the one positive wire and count on the current frame ground in the front compartment to be the negative?

Do i need to run both positive and negative to the front compartment?
It is best practice to have home-runs of pos(+) and neg(-). You should still ground to the frame from the batteries or busbar just after the batteries but separate + and - cables eliminates problems generally.
or can I just run the one positive wire and count on the current frame ground in the front compartment to be the negative?
The neg(-) should have a grounded frame cable the same size as the inverter neg(-) and the oems typically don’t have a very robust grounding cable anyway.
I’d suggest all DC have their own discriminate ground wire/cable.

Back