diy solar

diy solar

Grounding AC and DC systems to Earth

Making grounding simpler to understand is a tough goal.
There are concepts to grasp that include termnology, safety, and purpose.
Giving others advice about grounding based on your system setup is just fine, but may not be relevant or correct if you do not understand electrical systems, safety, grounding goals.
Always start with the safety guidelines and learn the terminology. Grasp the safety concept.
Untill you can really say that you understand electrical safety and your electrical system perfectly, use the safety codes to keep you and your loved ones safe. Once you have the basic safety concept, the safety codes will make sense and you will comply with them as a matter of good judgement.
PS, Current does not follow the path of least resistance, it follows all paths available, at all times.
There is a comment above that will lead you to pdf file resources explaining grounding in detail.

My experience is that my RV connected all grounds (AC & DC) to the frame and is all connected to the utility ground when connected to utility power. Two ground rods are discouraged as far as I read.

Also look here: https://forums.mikeholt.com/forums/bonding-and-grounding.22/
Yes, this is what I was also trying to communicate: That all grounds inside my RV(AC & DC) are connected to the frame/chassis and came that way from the factory. Therefore, all of it is connected to the utility ground(I was calling grid) when the RV is plugged into shore power. Since the outlet that I plug my RV into gets its power from the grid OR my inverter through an automatic generator switch within which everything shares a common ground, my system is grounded. I wish I had the gift for saying things clearly in as few words as you seem to be able to do. By the way, I did previously watch a video where a fella explained why using more than one grounding rod isnt usually the best idea.

Making grounding simpler to understand is a tough goal.
There are concepts to grasp that include termnology, safety, and purpose.
Giving others advice about grounding based on your system setup is just fine, but may not be relevant or correct if you do not understand electrical systems, safety, grounding goals.
Always start with the safety guidelines and learn the terminology. Grasp the safety concept.
Untill you can really say that you understand electrical safety and your electrical system perfectly, use the safety codes to keep you and your loved ones safe. Once you have the basic safety concept, the safety codes will make sense and you will comply with them as a matter of good judgement.
PS, Current does not follow the path of least resistance, it follows all paths available, at all times.
There is a comment above that will lead you to pdf file resources explaining grounding in detail.
Thanks for the lecture. Although what you said has already been covered. But much appreciated ??

Thanks for the lecture. Although what you said has already been covered. But much appreciated ??
System grounding has been covered many times and in many ways on this bulletin board. There are well researched and presented resources here under the resources subject matter. It's best to start there and refer others to those resources in my opinion.
PS: One ground rod is not accepted as a grounding electrode in most cases IAW the NFPA NEC. Two ground rods within 6' of each other bonded together is acceptable in most cases, but not all cases. A Mobile electrical system may use the chassis as the grounding electrode (no ground rod).

Back