diy solar

diy solar

Grounding - am I adequately grounded??

skatekr89

Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused with the grounding aspect of my system.

I'm installing a new battery (lifepo4) and will hardwire the a/c terminal of the inverter to a transfer switch (ts30).

See my attached photo. The junction box with the orange/black wire is my shore power plug/ac panel input. I plan to take this specific box apart to rewire it to the transfer switch. Makes for a simple switch install

All this means is that the only ground I need to add to the circuit is my inverter, which will go on the same ground bar in the transfer switch as my shorepower ground and ac panel. There is a copper wire that goes to the frame from the ac panel.

My question is, is that all there is to it? Adequate grounding is a huge topic and I think in my situation it is as simple as stated above, and might be overthinking it due to allllllllll the info on the forums.

My inverter says it can be either grounded directly to chassis, to ground wire, to marine ground or earth ground.
My preferred choice here is grounding it with the wire. Saves me from removing the underbelly which is nailed in place with ramsets rather than self tapping screws (dumb manufacturing practice but whatever).

Can anyone confirm that this would be adequately grounded to the system? If not, please explain what I should do.

Second questions. Are the grounds on an inverter all interconnected? Meaning the ground on my hardwire terminal will also ground the case of the inverter? I suppose I could check for continuity between the ground terminal and the case stud to find out for sure.

Thanks. Almost done my build so hoping to finish today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-075835_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-075835_Gallery.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 19
As near as I understand your post. Yes that is "all there is to it".
What needs to be; the inverter case lug and the grid connection earth ground must be connected to the RV chassis. They can both go to the same connection point if using adequate awg. Generally that is minimal 8 awg. Larger is better.
I would have the inverter case lug wired for direct connection to the chassis and earth ground.
I also connect the battery negative BusBar to the chassis.

Back