diy solar

diy solar

Grounding/bonding: I know like an oil thread on a motorhead board

toothy

Hello,

I am off grid and have a gen/inverter shed feeding a house and shop both about 200 ft from the inv/gen shed both wired for 120/240. I have 3 wires running from the gen /inv shed to both panels a H-H-N. I have my earth ground at the gen/inv shed bonded to my neutral. I have the ground busbar in the shop, house and inv/gen shed each connected to earth ground, see my art work.

Am I supposed to have a 4th ground conductor running with the H-H-N back to the gen shed where it is currently bonded N to G?

If yes, am I supposed to disconnect the earth ground from the ground busbar at the house and shop panels and rely on the earth ground at the gen/inv shed?

If we could lets keep it simple or you'll make my head hurt, not too much code section or wire size stuff! Broad strokes.

Thanks
Wade

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_115508.jpg
    IMG_20201221_115508.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 10
Yes, from wherever you decided to have the single-point bond of neutral to ground, you should run a ground conductor to other loads.

Exception would be if you went through an isolation transformer, or connected the two hots to an auto-transformer and generated a new neutral (isolated from the generator shed). Then you could establish a new ground and neutral/ground bond.

You don't want to have neutral currents traveling through what is also your ground wire.

Thanks Hedges,

So, I should disconnect the earth ground and or Ufer ground at the house and shop panels when I run the 4th wire and connect that 4th one to the ground busbars?

I wouldn't say disconnect grounds, I think multiple buildings connected to a single utility drop are each supposed to have ground rods.
Just disconnect neutral from them. Connect the 4th (ground) wire to a ground busbar in sub panel, and connect rod/Ufer/conduit/pipes together with the ground. Don't want anything metal to possibly be at a different potential from chassis ground of equipment plugged in.

That's where I was having problems. To my way of thinking, I know I should avoid that, the shortest path to ground is the best. I can understand having all grounds hooked together with wire and only one neutral bonding site.

Thanks Again
Merry Christmas

Your generator is the power supply like the grid would be. The house and the shop should have the green wire back to the power shed and connect to mother-Earth Ground at only one point. Where the g-n bond is made. I don't think it would hurt to have the earth ground also made at the house and shop as long as the G-N bond are only at the one point in the power shed.

Back