diy solar

diy solar

Grounding electrical in van

gac1222

Hey guys,

Currently have a 200ah Lithium 12v battery in my van. From that I have positive 2/0 cables running to a lynx distributor and a negative 2/0 cable running to a victron smart shunt and then to my lynx distributor negative side. I am trying to set up my ground to the chassis. If I were to run a ground from the smart shunt on the load side to the van chassis, would I use a 2/0 cable as well? Is this over kill? Necessary?

I believe it is best to keep the chassis ground the same as your other cables. Usually it doesn’t need to be very long anyway.

Reactions: Zil
This is exactly what I've done as well @gac1222 . 2/0 from load side of smart shunt to the metal frame rail/chassis. Also 2/0 cable from Victron MultiPlus II inverter case ground terminal to the recommended center negative terminal on the Lynx Distributor's negative bus bar.

If I were to run a ground from the smart shunt on the load side to the van chassis, would I use a 2/0 cable as well? Is this over kill? Necessary?
The 12/24/48VDC vehicle ground of an onboard auxiliary power system should match the load potential so yes imho 2/0.

However, keep in mind that the body of the vehicle may not be connected to the frame of the vehicle with wire/cable capable of carrying even 100A. It is probably more important to ground to the body versus the chassis/frame..

Back