diy solar

diy solar

Grounding issue? Shorting

Looks like I spoke too soon, as I got all the new components, including the battery switch and installed them and still the same problem? I would say it’s even worse as now I can’t even get my charge controllers to light up.
The problem is, I can’t get the right voltage reading from the battery switch to the positive bus bar?
Update: I replaced the positive wire at the battery switch and that solved the voltage problem. Unfortunately, when I connect the fuse to the inverter is still shut down the batteries? I’m going to try to replace the positive wire on the inverter and see if that does anything, as I’m quickly running out of any ideas. I even took off the ground for the charge controllers, and it made no difference whether it’s on ground or off ground. ?
Switched the wire out for the inverter and nothing improved. I did turn on the inverter before I turned on the battery switch and the red low battery light showed on. The shunt seems to be OK, so I’m not sure if I should replace that or not.
Perhaps the CSL from Battle Born Batteries is damaged, but that’s on the negative side?
I’m out of ideas! ?
Can you please clarify 'shutdown the batteries'?
Do you mean the battery BMS shutdown the battery?

Can you please clarify 'shutdown the batteries'?
Do you mean the battery BMS shutdown the battery?
BMS shutdown
So this is it the problem in a nutshell. Either you can have the charge controllers and batteries working together by removing the connection to the inverter, or you can have the batteries and the inverter working without hooking up charge controllers to the positive bus bar.
You just can’t have both!
It just doesn’t make any sense, as everything is working. The batteries work, the charge controllers work & the inverter works.
Any thoughts?

Oh my God, I got it working! All I did was take a pre-charge resistor to the positive wire, and hold it for a couple of seconds to precharge the inverter capacitors! I did this before connecting the positive to the busbar.
Can’t take credit for it since the Victron guy told me to do this. I had to watch some videos to understand it. I’ve done this for hooking up batteries, but never understood how to do this for inverters. ??????

Attachments

• 9E648311-D98D-4E5C-B0C2-DE50FCD4B92D.jpeg
    9E648311-D98D-4E5C-B0C2-DE50FCD4B92D.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 8
I was about to ask you to do that pre-charge, I was going to ask if the battery has gone into BMS shutdown when you turn on the Battery disconnect switch to on which the old one was damaged due to high inrush when power is applied to the inverter after the inverter was shutdown for a long time so the capacitor banks had fully discharged.
There are many threads about pre-charge, I'm glad it is working for you now.

I was about to ask you to do that pre-charge, I was going to ask if the battery has gone into BMS shutdown when you turn on the Battery disconnect switch to on which the old one was damaged due to high inrush when power is applied to the inverter after the inverter was shutdown for a long time so the capacitor banks had fully discharged.
There are many threads about pre-charge, I'm glad it is working for you now.
Thanks Bud, boy I’m sure getting an education! ??

Oh my God, I got it working! All I did was take a pre-charge resistor to the positive wire, and hold it for a couple of seconds to precharge the inverter capacitors! I did this before connecting the positive to the busbar.
Can’t take credit for it since the Victron guy told me to do this. I had to watch some videos to understand it. I’ve done this for hooking up batteries, but never understood how to do this for inverters. ??????

FWIW, The "I-beam" you mentioned earlier is actually a current surge limiter (resister) that BattleBorn recommends for starting larger inverters. I'm just guessing you don't have it connected properly and that's why the pre-charge resistor you eventually used did work. The BB surge limiter is supposed do the same thing.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, that large

FWIW, The "I-beam" you mentioned earlier is actually a current surge limiter (resister) that BattleBorn recommends for starting larger inverters. I'm just guessing you don't have it connected properly and that's why the pre-charge resistor you eventually used did work. The BB surge limiter is supposed do the same thing.

I don’t know how it could not be hooked up right, I sent pictures to Battle Born Batteries and they told me it was hooked up properly?

Back