diy solar

diy solar

Grounding multiplus II

Rasmusm88

Hi all

I proppably make this more confusing than it has to be..
My system will be connected to the grid all the time, and backfeeding excess solar to the grid.

Question is about grounding the victron multiplus II.
The manual says this:
  • In a fixed installation, uninterruptable grounding can be secured by means of the grounding wire of the AC input. Otherwise the casing must be grounded.
From victron
I fail to think this through. When the multi is always connected via the AC-IN to the house. Will I still need to wire the ground on the casing of the inverter to my lynx distributor, I would assume not as it says? I just wonder what happens when grid goes out, even though it's really rare.

Thanks
/Rasmus

Last edited:
My system will be connected to the grid all the time, and backfeeding excess solar to the grid.
The multiplus ll is not a grid-tied inverter. It won't export power to the grid.

[Edit: after reading a lot of things on the GoogleWeb, I have to say that I am not sure if the multiplus ll can export or not.]

I fail to think this through. When the multi is always connected via the AC-IN to the house. Will I still need to wire the ground on the casing of the inverter to my lynx distributor, I would assume not as it says? I just wonder what happens when grid goes out, even though it's really rare.
If connected to the AC in ground. The case is grounded.

Last edited:
When the multiplus is in bypass mode the neutral ground bond is upstream of the multiplus ac-in.
This bond should be just downstream of the first means of disconnect, usually in the main panel at the service entrance.
When the multiplus is in inverter mode the neutral ground bond is inside the multiplus.

If anything is unclear please ask targeted questions.

Thanks for replying.
What I want to achive is this:

It will take a few months to get the system approved, in the mean time I will use it to charge my Nissan Leaf off grid. So not connected to my house or grid. The current kWh price is insane, yesterday peaked at $1.34 here in Denmark.. So might aswell use the system for something until approved.

While achiving that, I will use one of the two AC output ports on the inverter. I have a dedicated 2m long copper rod for the inverter in the ground.

If I attach ground to AC-IN port will that still ground the ac-out ports?

And in what case will I have to use the case grounding on the inverter? My guess is when it's inside a vehicle or boat, correct?

Sorry for me beeing a new on this subject

I think "Other" may work with North American power, but I have no data to support that. Victron with ESS assistant enabled is used extensively through the EU for time-of-use shifting (run on batteries when power is expensive, charge when power is cheap) and backfeeding surplus. It's not like a regular grid-tie system, but it can be configured similarly.

I think "Other" may work with North American power, but I have no data to support that. Victron with ESS assistant enabled is used extensively through the EU for time-of-use shifting (run on batteries when power is expensive, charge when power is cheap) and backfeeding surplus. It's not like a regular grid-tie system, but it can be configured similarly.

Well, I've learned something today. I can take the rest of the day off now. (y)

I wonder what would happen if I enabled grid export when I was connected to a pedestal at a campground. Not that I would, but...

Well, I've learned something today. I can take the rest of the day off now. (y)

I wonder what would happen if I enabled grid export when I was connected to a pedestal at a campground. Not that I would, but...
You would be giving the campground a discount on their electric bill. And possibly powering a few other campers, if the power went out. (I wouldn't recommend it due to the Hazzard for line workers)
But it wouldn't hurt to try it for 5 minutes, just to know how it works.

Back