diy solar

diy solar

Grounding on Off-Grid PIP – 1012LV-MS ??

sloweb

I am setting up a 1012LV-MS that will only be off-grid. Maybe connect a generator to charge battery in the future. I don't see a chassis (or other) grounding lug to connect to grounding rod. I gather that the ground/neutral is bonded in the unit. So I am guessing that I should treat it like a generator - use no external grounding. Is that the correct way - no ground rod? Or should I use the ground lug of the AC-In connection and take it to a ground rod?
Thanks...

No earth ground needed in such a system. The earth ground (green) is referenced to the inverter or the generator.
If you connect to the grid the green earth ground must connect to the main entry panel ground.

You should always have a ground rod connection; the question is really where you attach it.

No! sometimes you do not have a ground rod. Only when connected to the grid is there a ground rod.

No! sometimes you do not have a ground rod. Only when connected to the grid is there a ground rod.
With US codes?! What section of the NEC are you referencing? The only exemptions I see are for portable systems.

Exactly what we are talking about.
"......1012LV-MS that will only be off-grid. "

Exactly what we are talking about.
"......1012LV-MS that will only be off-grid. "
There are exceptions for portable and vehicle mounted systems where bonded to the vehicle, but not for off-grid systems.

Back