diy solar

diy solar

Grounding panels, inverter and charge controller on Prowse 400W off-grid system:

SolarGal72

I am installing the 400W system following the instructions in Will Prowse videos 1 & 2 on YouTube. I have 10 gauge insulated copper wire and a copper grounding rod. I understand how to connect the grounding wire to the ground rod. My question is to the rest of the components.

I have the Blue Seas system 100 Amg mini busbar with four posts, and I believe I will mount that and connect the inverter and charge controller to that. Then wire the bus bar to the ground rod.

First question: Do I attach the grounding wire in series to the panels, or just the aluminum rack?
Second question: Do I attach the panel grounding wire to the bus bar inside too (to end up with just one wire running to the grounding rod), or do I run grounding wire from inside to the grounding rod, and then the panel wire to the grounding rod (for a total of two wires connected to the grounding rod)?

Thank you for input!

I found this, just now as I was looking for something that I read about how there should not be a ground loop (electricity is lazy it always finds the least resistance). It may or may not answer your question but it does give a link to the US Gov website re: grounding requirements.

I found this, just now as I was looking for something that I read about how there should not be a ground loop (electricity is lazy it always finds the least resistance). It may or may not answer your question but it does give a link to the US Gov website re: grounding requirements.
Wow I don't know anything about grounding. I read over the article once. Oh my God I have to read that like 20 times to figure out what they mean. I sure appreciate you posting it it does have a lot of good information if I could only understand it properly. I guess grounding is very important. I didn't even know anything about that yet. Other than watching will and some other people talk about the grounding. I'm glad I ran across this Forum I must have found it from Will man that guy is helpful and he's so smart

I am installing the 400W system following the instructions in Will Prowse videos 1 & 2 on YouTube. I have 10 gauge insulated copper wire and a copper grounding rod. I understand how to connect the grounding wire to the ground rod. My question is to the rest of the components.

I have the Blue Seas system 100 Amg mini busbar with four posts, and I believe I will mount that and connect the inverter and charge controller to that. Then wire the bus bar to the ground rod.

First question: Do I attach the grounding wire in series to the panels, or just the aluminum rack?
Second question: Do I attach the panel grounding wire to the bus bar inside too (to end up with just one wire running to the grounding rod), or do I run grounding wire from inside to the grounding rod, and then the panel wire to the grounding rod (for a total of two wires connected to the grounding rod)?

Thank you for input!
Gosh I sure hope I can figure this out. It is not easy to put it together in my brain. And I guess it's so important I never realized it. I spoke about it to the other person that answered your question. How did you make out did you get it all done properly

"it does give a link to the US Gov website re: grounding requirements."
I looked for that link, but missed it. Could you direct me to it ?

Back