diy solar

diy solar

Grounding Question - simple system

Funion

I am sure this has been answered a million times here but the more I read the more confusing this topic gets. I have and EG4 3000 SCC with plans on going straight to at 70amp distribution box. So what do I ground? My current plan was to ground the inverters chassis to earth ground and don't bond N/G in the panel. Will be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. And thank you for your input!!

Then you need to create a grounding system.
It starts with a N/G bond, at or before the first means of disconnect. People usually do it in the loads panel.
Then, connect all metal enclosures, conduit, electrical boxes, and equipment, back to this main ground bar.
Install a ground rod and connect it to the main ground bar with a #6 green wire. Do the same thing for a water service pipe, if it's metal. Basically, all grounding should be connected together and back to this main ground bar. After leaving this panel, keep neutrals and grounds separate. Neutrals and grounds can only make one connection together in one place.

There are four parts to this grounding made simpler guide. It covers the subject well:

The inverter manual should include all you need for hookup, including grounding details. If it does not, there might be unique help from Will Prose on the particulars you need .

If it is in your house, you get incidental bonding by going to the water pipe, but it is generally a good idea to make sure they are bonded together... ideally bonding to the water pipe in the same location as the existing service.

If there's an existing service. All of the work should have already been done. (Verify that it was installed correctly) all that you have to do is connect all of your new grounding to the existing system.

Back