diy solar

diy solar

Grounding rod connected to RV chassis?

Yuc_Solar

I have a stationary travel trailer with a 12V solar system but soon I will upgrade to 48V and I want to prepare my electrical earth grounding.

Can I connect the grounding rod to the chassis of my travel trailer and verify proper grounding with a multimeter?

Later (in the 48V system) I will connect the grounding rod to a ground bus bar

In a normal RV, when you plug into shore power.....whether it's a 50A or a 30A, the ground wire from the shore power is carried through to the RV breaker panel and is connected to the ground buss, so I'm not sure what you are asking here.

Reactions: Zil
I want to test my newly installed grounding rod.
The grounding rod will serve for a future 3kW-48V solar system.

But right now I live off grid in a travel trailer which has a small 12V solar system.

Can I test the grounding rod on my existing 12V solar system from the travel trailer and how?

Thanks

If it's connected, it's connected.
What do you want to test?
The only applicable test, would be an earth resistance test. Which requires specialized testing equipment.

Like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-164716_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-164716_Chrome.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 6
Or this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-164849_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-164849_Chrome.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 2
If it's connected, it's connected.
What do you want to test?
The only applicable test, would be an earth resistance test. Which requires specialized testing equipment.
Thanks for your reply.

The grounding rod isn't connected anywhere right now. It's newly installed.

Can I connect it to the RV chassis to measure the grounding with a multimeter at an outlet?

The only thing an off grid system would need of an earth grounding rod would be for lightning protection. All the voltages in that off grid trailer is back to the inverter case lug and the battery negative.

Back