Group buy with Michael Caro in nyc area

tekwu

dada
Hello.. I was wondering if anyone in the nyc area is willing to group buy some 272ah cells or the 150 coslight cells Michael is selling. I have a limit budget and is looking to get 4x 272ah cells or 8x 150 ah cells. I am certain the more cells you buy the lower/cheaper $/ah will be. PM me if you are interested and we can come up with a plan.

The latest quotes I got shipped to nyc are
4x 272ah cells for 469
8x 150ah cells for 519.89

I will also need a bms from Michael as well and if you are in the market we can order togther and save on shipping. This can be a trial run.😆🤣

I am thinking one of us will pay upfront and the other person will put a small deposit via paypal or something once Michael confirms the order. Tracking number will be shared once it's available. After delivery, the other person can pick up the cells and pay the remaining balance in cash and etc. Obviously if the other person backs out then you lose the deposit. Fair? Since we will share info with each other I think that will discourage dishonesty.

A bit about my plan..
Initially I was planning for a simple 12v system with a 2k inverter but after some research I might just get a grid tie inverter with limiter and use the battery in-between the charge controller and grid tie inverter. But the major issue is that they recommend 36-48v.

Most of the existing gear I purchased are used. It's very hard to find used lifepo4 at reasonable price. I don't mind the wait. Ebay, fb and offerup has folks that are selling batteries from china at double the cost. Crazy.

I am just trying to offset my electric bill as I wfh now and I am 2-3 months away from breaking even on my initial investments. 😁

tekwu

dada
I just placed my order (16x 150ah Coslight $974.50; with 3% paypal fee = $1,003.74) with Michael today. Good luck everyone. Can't wait for the cells to arrive. :cool::LOL:

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer
Daly BMS 48v 16s 100a with active fan and BT modules for $87.91 + Shipping
What part of NY? I am on Long Island, and waiting on my 16 x 272ah Lishens from Michael. I also ordered directly from Alibaba, and those came in last week. Charging the first 4 cells in that batch took an entire week. I bought a cheap 4s BMS and a 20amp 12v lifepo4 charger to make it quicker, but the BMS did not protect it, and cell 4 went to 3.8V before I caught it with the ISDT Battgo monitor. Do yourself a favor and get one of those monitors. They work awesome, and even balance the cells a bit.

bkch0

Solar Enthusiast
What part of NY? I am on Long Island, and waiting on my 16 x 272ah Lishens from Michael. I also ordered directly from Alibaba, and those came in last week. Charging the first 4 cells in that batch took an entire week. I bought a cheap 4s BMS and a 20amp 12v lifepo4 charger to make it quicker, but the BMS did not protect it, and cell 4 went to 3.8V before I caught it with the ISDT Battgo monitor. Do yourself a favor and get one of those monitors. They work awesome, and even balance the cells a bit.
Your alibaba order, was that before or after your Michaels order?

tekwu

dada
I am in Brooklyn. Thanks for the tip. I was going to charge it in 48v pack first with bms and then parallel top it off. I have the cheap cell8 monitor. But I will probably need 3 more. I will baby sit those cells when it charging. But then again Mike said the coslight will be capacity tested.. but I guess I will do a quick run just in case. 😁

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer
Your alibaba order, was that before or after your Michaels order?
My Alibaba order was on Feb 2nd. Came in about 56 days later. I ordered from Michael on Valentines day Feb 14th. The Alibaba order came with M6 terminals, so I had to buy M6 grub studs. The order from Michael was less expensive, and includes M8 studs, so much sturdier. I also paid extra to have the cells grouped by resistance. Its nice to have someone who speaks english to order from and run interference with the supplier also. I am hoping its worth the wait.

bkch0

Solar Enthusiast
My Alibaba order was on Feb 2nd. Came in about 56 days later. I ordered from Michael on Valentines day Feb 14th. The Alibaba order came with M6 terminals, so I had to buy M6 grub studs. The order from Michael was less expensive, and includes M8 studs, so much sturdier. I also paid extra to have the cells grouped by resistance. Its nice to have someone who speaks english to order from and run interference with the supplier also. I am hoping its worth the wait.
I'm waiting for my order too from Michael.

Hendo7

Solar Enthusiast
i am waiting on a aliexpress order made 2/15/21 so about 60 days so far plus mo way of tracking as of yet due to my order not at the docks yet

tekwu

dada
@Sanwizard btw which bms u planning to use for ur 16x cells? I am guessing u are going for 48v setup? Where did u get your rings terminals? I need to get some. Also did u get the bench charger when you top balance ur cells? Any recommendations? I got this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/300...237.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.76dd4c4dMpPSoH

Think that should work. I am on a budget 😉😁🤣.

I am new to this so I still have to buy parts but I guess I probably still have a month or 2 before I get the cells and the bms.

bkch0

Solar Enthusiast
@Sanwizard btw which bms u planning to use for ur 16x cells? I am guessing u are going for 48v setup? Where did u get your rings terminals? I need to get some. Also did u get the bench charger when you top balance ur cells? Any recommendations? I got this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/300...237.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.76dd4c4dMpPSoH

I am new to this so I still have to buy parts but I guess I probably still have a month or 2 before I get the cells and the bms.

I have that same exact buck converter that I use to convert 18v tool battery to 12v. It works pretty well, but I imaging you would need active cooling on it if you plan to use that to charge a battery for a long period of time.

tekwu

dada
I have that same exact buck converter that I use to convert 18v tool battery to 12v. It works pretty well, but I imaging you would need active cooling on it if you plan to use that to charge a battery for a long period of time.
Cool thanks for the tip. Never use this.. but figure it's only 5 bux or so vs a bench charger that's gone up in price to like $60. Just not sure it I set the voltage to 3.65 on the individual cells will the amp taper down as it's getting closed to full. Guess I should test this on a 18650 li-ion battery as a test before ruining the lifepo4s. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

bkch0

Solar Enthusiast
Cool thanks for the tip. Never use this.. but figure it's only 5 bux or so vs a bench charger that's gone up in price to like $60. Just not sure it I set the voltage to 3.65 on the individual cells will the amp taper down as it's getting closed to full. Guess I should test this on a 18650 li-ion battery as a test before ruining the lifepo4s. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Check out the Riden power supply on youtube and some reviews here. Its alot more than $60 tho. I bought it last month and I really really like it.

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer

You should check out the "which BMS are you using" thread. I have two Heltec 200 amp/ 2amp active balance BMS's from Alibaba. See this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/heltec-jk-200a-smart-bms-with-2a-active-balance.17831/

As for dc power, I built the more expensive Riden RD6018, as I wanted something I could also use for other projects that need accurate voltages. I have no experience with the buck converter you mentioned, but the German guy at "off grid garage" uses them, and shows how he top balanced on his youtube channel. We are all learning deom each other. Thats why this forum is so interesting!