diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12k random voltage drops and fault/warning code 61. Anyone else?

I'll run an experiment. I like experiments. I'll put my calibrated and traceable Fluke meter on the output of the inverter and graph its output until one of the anomalies occurs and see if there's actually anything there.

I have two 12kw running both using the same pi model and inverter 1 it runs perfect. It never does any quick restarts and the data is totally stable no odd fluctuations. I have no pv or grid on either one as well.
I ran the test over the past 24 hours and caught one anomaly on Solar Assistant where my output apparently dropped to zero. As you can see in the Fluke display, that never happened. Seeing as I was out in the shop working at this time, I would have noticed if everything went dead. I've communicated all of this to Pierre at Solar Assistant. He's aware of the issue and is addressing it now. He's asked that I try the next beta release where he hopes to have it fixed and I will do that when it's available. Keeping in mind that Solar Assistant can also send data to the inverter, that's the reason why I suggested disconnecting the USB cable from your inverter to see if your fault code 61 goes away.

Attachments

• Voltage drop never happened.JPG
    Voltage drop never happened.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 5
  • fluke.jpg
    fluke.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 5
Update:

Inverter was on for about 2 hours powering the house before it experienced another hard restart. Power completely shut off for few seconds then came back on. At the time I was standing right next to the thermostat and as soon as I heard the thermostat "click" to kick on the A/C that's when I noticed the inverter had shut off. Prior to this the inverter was running fine with the A/C on/off cycling normally. PVKeeper shows a low battery error and overload warning. Battery is 91% full. My air conditioner draws around 2200 watts, so pretty small power draw.
Definitely not a A/C inrush problem for this 12k. Back in April without the A/C running it had also experienced same restarts. Back to grid power again.

Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 8
The compressor start up surge is up to 5 times higher. It could just be the right combination of things starting at the same time. (Refrigerator, freezer, A/C)

But even without the A/C same restarts happened, and not aure what could cause this. At one point when I initially tested the inverter I had a compressor running, shopvac, all lights, and whatever was in the background. And then turned on the A/C and this thing had no problems what so ever. Just random restarts.

Compressor surge currents can vary widely depending on load at time of startup. You should install a soft start unit on any standard condensing unit scroll compressor intended to be operated on an inverter. If I try to start my 2.5 ton condensing unit on the 8kw inverter, it will kill the BMS's in all 4 EG4 batteries instantly.

Update:

Inverter was on for about 2 hours powering the house before it experienced another hard restart. Power completely shut off for few seconds then came back on. At the time I was standing right next to the thermostat and as soon as I heard the thermostat "click" to kick on the A/C that's when I noticed the inverter had shut off. Prior to this the inverter was running fine with the A/C on/off cycling normally. PVKeeper shows a low battery error and overload warning. Battery is 91% full. My air conditioner draws around 2200 watts, so pretty small power draw.
Definitely not a A/C inrush problem for this 12k. Back in April without the A/C running it had also experienced same restarts. Back to grid power again.

Any ideas anyone?
Inveter #1 has never restarted and had no issues starting a very old 4 ton unit with the 1.5 ton mini running. Inverter one has been right 11,600w with 190 amps battery side and just keeps going. Signature had me do a full reset and upgrade the firmware on inverter 2. I will update the thread if that stops the restarts.

Last edited:
I’ll pick up one of those microair soft starts when they’re back in stock on Amazon. And as to the overload, my 12k has no problem starting my A/C at all. Rated at 36k watt max, and when it does start and run the A/C the lights don’t even dim. For me that’s pretty good indication it can handle anything in my house and more. But randomly for no reason it’ll just restart itself.

I just add a 24k BTU window unit to the inverter, today. It was running fine all day. (Very sunny day)
Once the solar production started reducing, in the evening. It kicked the BMS, and shut down.
It was a test, that I figured would fail.

Getting the 61 code as well with the EG4 6500EX. Hooked up for the first time late yesterday afternoon, only had batteries connected running a 120v mini split. Started giving me the code this AM with zero load batteries only. Beeped for couple of minutes and went away on its own. I shut it down and connected solar panels. Now it's only beeping occasionally, still now load. Currently charging batteries (EG4 LP4's as well).

System is too new for me to provide any meaningful findings, but hope there is a fix.

Getting the 61 code as well with the EG4 6500EX. Hooked up for the first time late yesterday afternoon, only had batteries connected running a 120v mini split. Started giving me the code this AM with zero load batteries only. Beeped for couple of minutes and went away on its own. I shut it down and connected solar panels. Now it's only beeping occasionally, still now load. Currently charging batteries (EG4 LP4's as well).

System is too new for me to provide any meaningful findings, but hope there is a fix.

Likely your error code is different for the EG4 inverter vs the Growatt that this thread is about. Might want to start a new thread for your issue with the EG4 inverter.

Likely your error code is different for the EG4 inverter vs the Growatt that this thread is about. Might want to start a new thread for your issue with the EG4 inverter.
Was thinking about it, but I know these invertors share a lot of the same guts. Still observing the issue at this point.

Update:

Sent SigSolar screenshot of PVkeeper low battery error at 91% of SOC. Along with more requested details.

Signature Solar has not responded ever since. This was Monday 6/6. So far no response to follow up email from Wednesday either.

Update:

Firmware was flashed this morning. And other than few strange sounds the unit produced in the morning, everything ran fine up until few minutes ago. Another low battery error, but this time at 90% instead of 91%. Voltage dropped to zero. Batteries were all blinking red alarm LED. Ran fine for about 6 hours before the shut off.

Attachments

• voltage drop zero.jpg
    voltage drop zero.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 10
  • fault code.jpg
    fault code.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 10
Hello Danny, that is unfortunate The firmware didn't help you. I see based on your log screenshot you receiving data glitches similar to what I get on my 6000T, I understand you're connected via USB directly to the inverter? I'm receiving the same glitches using shine Wi-Fi dongle. Were you able to utilize the provided calibration tool to resolve error 61? I have not been able to utilize the tool. Windows 10 will not connect to the inverter and I'm looking for a Windows 7 machine, what did you use to update the firmware?

Hello Danny, that is unfortunate The firmware didn't help you. I see based on your log screenshot you receiving data glitches similar to what I get on my 6000T, I understand you're connected via USB directly to the inverter? I'm receiving the same glitches using shine Wi-Fi dongle. Were you able to utilize the provided calibration tool to resolve error 61? I have not been able to utilize the tool. Windows 10 will not connect to the inverter and I'm looking for a Windows 7 machine, what did you use to update the firmware?
Hey Bruce, sorry for late reply I wanted to finish testing everything before posting an update.

Updated with Win10 but use old win7 laptop for monitoring via USB.

Had high hopes but no luck after the update. And not really sure if the 61 error was ever resolved, the inverter only ran for about 30 minutes after the new update before it shut down again, and I switched to grid. For the past few days I was in contact with tech support at Sig Solar. We tried the update. We tried different user settings but nothing worked. Same problems but even more frequent now it seems. I emailed SS images of my wiring connections, batteries, settings etc, made sure all connections were firm. We pretty much ruled out everything we could. All that would be left is the unit has a faulty electronics board, and since there are few different electronic boards inside, it needs to be shipped back to SS and put on a test bench to check why it randomly errors out with (low battery) error at 90% SOC. I don't know how everything will be handled because they're out of stock on these. Tech said there were about twenty 12k units with similar problems since the beginning of the year. Some were fixed with an update and rest needed to be brought in for a board swap.

Danny, No worries, bummer to have to ship unit back. My 6000T still has error 61 but is performing well, pumping water. I will report back when/if I get the "calibration tool" to work. Good Luck with the 12K I will watch your results as that was going to be my next purchase for the house end of system.

I think if I ever get an inverter, I'm going to spend the money on a top brand. Maybe the Sol-Ark 15k. I'm reading about too many issues with these lesser brands. These rack mount battery BMS issues seem like a clusterf*ck as well. Depressing state of affairs.

Hi Browse, Yup, I agree. I have a Trace SW4048 has been running for almost 20 years 7/24 hard to argue with that but the price to upgrade to a Radian from Outback is much higher than Growatt. but you get what you pay for I guess....

Back