diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12k unboxing

Today my 2565w array is producing 88 watts (raining) . Is it a waste to double the size of that array so that I would be producing 176 watts? Or that it might produce 1800 watts on a partly cloudy afternoon where before I increased the size it might only produce 1000 watts? Not for my needs.

It would be better to add charge controllers than overpaneling to much, I stopped at 18 500w panels for each inverter / charge controller.

. MrM1 It appears we're in the spot (choices of inverters, wants & needs ?)

It would be better to add charge controllers than overpaneling to much, I stopped at 18 500w panels for each inverter / charge controller.
I would tend to agree with this, but a 2nd charge controller will always require more panels, but extra panels may not require a second charge controller. Which leads me to my conclusion. Over panel first and if it meets my needs save on the SCC, but if it does not, then I am already ready for the second SCC

I would tend to agree with this, but a 2nd charge controller will always require more panels, but extra panels may not require a second charge controller. Which leads me to my conclusion. Over panel first and if it meets my needs save on the SCC, but if it does not, then I am already ready for the second SCC
If you can manage to slightly over panel and stay positive that would be cheaper. But amazingly even 5 500w panels can hit 20 amps on the charge controller in perfect weather. I started out slightly over paneling by 3000w on the inverter but found out the charge controllers even if under paneled really help out in poor weather. Perfect days the inveter could get the batteries to the charge cut off, but the charge controllers really take the charge/discharge off the batteries and greatly help on cloudy days.

If you can manage to slightly over panel and stay positive that would be cheaper. But amazingly even 5 500w panels can hit 20 amps on the charge controller in perfect weather. I started out slightly over paneling by 3000w on the inverter but found out the charge controllers even if under paneled really help out in poor weather. Perfect days the inveter could get the batteries to the charge cut off, but the charge controllers really take the charge/discharge off the batteries and greatly help on cloudy days.
So do you have more than 1 Growatt All in One inverter or more than 1 charge controller... Or are you referring to the 2 charge controllers (PV1 & PV2 input) on the one Growatt?

How much over panel did you do? 500x18 for the total (4500w on each PV input), OR 9000w on each input for a total of 18000w

So do you have more than 1 Growatt All in One inverter or more than 1 charge controller... Or are you referring to the 2 charge controllers (PV1 & PV2 input) on the one Growatt?

How much over panel did you do? 500x18 for the total (4500w on each PV input), OR 9000w on each input for a total of 18000w

I'm running two 12kwh inverters and 4 charge controllers. I started out testing slowly and found that adding more panels beyond 15 did not yield alot more production. It appears for at least my growatts that the scale of production by adding panels goes down very quickly. Moving the panels to charge controllers provided much more output.

I have 18 panels for each inverter on pv1 input for the inverters.

Sorry I was editing and you might have missed the 2nd part of my question

Are you not using pv2
Not using pv2 on the inverters, I had asked signature about this but said it would be fine for pv1 at 18 panels.
Slightly cloudy so not make the full amount, inveter and two charge controllers, load is right at 14 amps as well.

Attachments

• production.png
    production.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 8
So do you get a full 120 amps of charging or do you only see 60 amps of charging. My understanding is that each PV input only has 60 amps each side for a total of 120 amps if you use both.

So do you get a full 120 amps of charging or do you only see 60 amps of charging. My understanding is that each PV input only has 60 amps each side for a total of 120 amps if you use both.
I have wondered about this as well, none of the inverters or charge controllers have yet to get anywere near the rated output. Seems like 48 amps is the max I have seen.

I think that is because yours only using 1 of the 2 PV inputs. I was told there are actually 2 SCCs in the big growatts. And that to get full capacity u must use both

I think that is because yours only using 1 of the 2 PV inputs. I was told there are actually 2 SCCs in the big growatts. And that to get full capacity u must use both
I always wondered as well since I had the ability to break up the panels on my midnite combiner but was told it would not make a difference if I split 18 down to two inputs. This is something I could test later, once I get more panels.

So the Growatt 12000 unit that can only take 150 Voc, states that it has 2 mppt controllers and 7000 Watts of solar power. Is that 7000 watts total for both mppt, or 3500 watts per mppt?

So the Growatt 12000 unit that can only take 150 Voc, states that it has 2 mppt controllers and 7000 Watts of solar power. Is that 7000 watts total for both mppt, or 3500 watts per mppt?
2 x 60 (120A) (3.5kw + 3.5kw = 7kW) Solar MPPT Charge controller (60Vmp to 245Voc) – Max 250V

I have not inbox my 12kw yet, but there are 2 versions. A 150vDC and a 250vdc version.

It is my understanding that the 250 can take 250vdc voc on each PV input and the 150 can take 150vDC voc on each input.

Back