diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12kw 250, Over Paneling and Uneven Sting Count

I had the DVM (150vdc PV max) version of this inverter with ~9.5kw of panels. It outputted 120A to my (14s leaf based) battery at any voltage it was at from the PV charge controllers. So if the battery was at 55V, it was putting out 55V*120A=6.6KW. One time I charged it over 58V and I saw the 7000W at 58V or so.

I ended up with a second small all-in-one inverter just to put some of the panels on and also to act as a AC charger from a small generator if I needed to.
That is part of the reason I decided to go with 2 LV6548's instead of the GW 12Kw unit. If I decided to increase PV capacity and/or battery bank, the 2 LV6548's could handle more PV instead of being already maxed out.

That makes sense. The 12kw sounded so good in the beginning. Now I'm thinking like you. 2 6k....

That is part of the reason I decided to go with 2 LV6548's instead of the GW 12Kw unit. If I decided to increase PV capacity and/or battery bank, the 2 LV6548's could handle more PV instead of being already maxed out.
Is the LV6548 hi frequency or low. Will it start large inductive loads? Did u need an autotransformer for large inductive loads?

That makes sense. The 12kw sounded so good in the beginning. Now I'm thinking like you. 2 6k....
The LV6548 has two 4Kw SCC's per unit, making it 8Kw total. With 2 unit's I can go as high as 16Kw. The main problem I see is matching up VOC of PV with the max PV input current with any of these units under 250VOC. My 530w panels are 49.65 VOC so I can do 4S but can't parallel 2 strings as the ISC is over 13a. Take that times 2 and you have 26a which is higher than the max 22.5 PV ISC rating per SCC in the unit. As I have 16 panels, I will have to go with 4S and 4 strings. With the 2 units, I will have a total of 4 SCC's to tap into.

With GW 12Kw unit, I've tried to find the max ISC the SCC can take. It isn't listed in the data sheet here, which is the correct data sheet. https://www.growatt-america.com/show-42-642.html

Last edited:
Is the LV6548 hi frequency or low. Will it start large inductive loads? Did u need an autotransformer for large inductive loads?
I have a well pump and will find out if the hi freq inverters in the LV6548 can handle it. There isn't a surge capacity listed for the hi freq inverter. If it can't handle the load, then the plan is to either install a well pump VFD or change out the pump at some point.

The clothes dryer takes more watts though.

Nice, It sounds like you upgraded. What inverter do you have now?
I did it without net-metering, so it would switch between grid bypass and solar/battery all the time with our power usage, and I wanted something that could still go autonomous for backup power, but do zero export grid-tie. I ended up getting a Deye 8k about a year ago.

I will say that the 12000t started everything I threw at it, and it never had a problem with unbalanced L1/L2, because it uses a full size transformer with a mid-tap. I have had struggles with this Deye that makes me feel like I shouldn't have changed.

And @Zwy as I think about it, if we go the 2nd SCC, I'd probably spend an extra $100+ish and get a midnite solar classic 200 sl, install 4s2p on each of the Growatt pv input and put the rest on the classic which I know can be over paneled till Jesus comes back.
Did you run your excess PV on the calculator here? https://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php

I have not seen what the input rated amps of the Midnite Classic series.

@Zwy I'm wondering if the Growatt 12kw is the same as the Sungoldpower 12kw. They look very similar

Yeah we need the large heavy low frequency inverter for industrial shop tools so we went with the Growatt.

There may have been a better choice, but I do like the field serviceability of the unit.

@markansas what unit did you get
sorry i am slow to respond.. 8k they seem to be able to handle a large surge.. hoping so . next year arc welder test.. large surge..
1638809733452.png

So after all this time what is the consensus on the SPF12000 ? I have one that I am slowly building a system around but am conserned about what I have read about grid imbalance potentially causing fires ??

So after all this time what is the consensus on the SPF12000 ? I have one that I am slowly building a system around but am conserned about what I have read about grid imbalance potentially causing fires ??
The SPF12000 is fine - I wish I still had mine. If there is a grid imbalance while in pass-through mode it still can't overheat to the point of a fire, it has internal thermal monitoring and can disconnect and shutdown if it needs to.

This fellow has built a system around one: https://www.youtube.com/@AveRage_Joe

Back