diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12kW 48V Split Phase 120A Off-Grid Inverter ERRORS < maybe not

Solar388

Hello to all,

I have tried to research this and I even emailed SS and I have DM SS here on the forum. Seems this error code is not explained.

I purchased a 12kW 48V 250VDC 120A Off-Grid Inverter March 1. I connected it to my panel on a basis of using 120 and 240. I have Docan batteries in series and parallel for the 48V. They actually measure 52-54VDC most all the time.

When I turned on the inverter and setup the parameters it recycled off and back on. All appeared and sounded good. I had 2 error messages that appear in the display which scrolling around. See below.

One of the errors I emailed to SS about and they indicated in one email they answered that my inverter was 196 degrees. I promptly went to the inverter and video that the highest temp was 87 internally checking with a IR gun. Besides that fact, that error was there upon turning it on stone cold at about 55 degrees that day. SS never emailed back again what the issue could be after the proof of 87F. I sent @RichardfromSignatureSolar a DM and he never responded.

The other strange characters or error picture they never commented on what it could be.

So if you are curious on my use of the unit I had it running on the batteries for 8 hours. That started about 2pm and all was running good. Watts being used only showed 600 watts. I forced the heat pump / air handler on and it came on fine and the watts were about 3500 being used. The real test came about 9pm when my wife decided to shower. The hot water heater came on and the lights went somewhat dim and flickered. Then I was standing at the Growatt when my wife turned on the hair dryer and all alarms and trouble happened. The lights went to super dim, the inverter was buzzing, and I shut it down. I was so mad at it I removed it from my utility power and battery power. I put the house panel back on the grid utility and decided to do more research. I brought a soft start that just came in today. So I intend to install that to my AC / heat pump compressor. My LRA is 130 so I see where this can come down alot with the soft start. Beyond that my highest watts used I have monitored is only 6500 watts. That is why I got the 12kW all in one inverter. Surely it can handle my load.

error code on 12K 48V  inverter.jpg

error strange.jpg

Can anyone with a 12K unit scroll the display and tell me if you have either of these pictured error or information?

I installed the soft start on my AC / Heating compressor unit yesterday. I got a emporia watt monitor system on my breaker panel. I want to try and set this Growatt back up on my house panel.

That 511 or A26 message comes up right when I power on the unit. It stays there all the time. I have google that in all ways I can think of seems it has never been mentioned.

So I really always do my own research. Are others not having this issue?

I have now watched 5 other YouTube videos of unpacking the beast, setup the ultimate 12K, watch me install this and that.. well, the only video where a person is scrolling the display looking for load watts runs across this near same error message, yet does not even acknowledge he has a clue what it is, and if it is bad. @averagejoe videos never scrolls the display and always cuts that part for some reason. Not sure I every saw a 12K setup by @Will Prowse .. I have watched over 20 of his other videos however.

YouTube setups of the 12K unit and finally found a guy scroll the display on camera and check this at out 2:59

he has an error also but it is a little different on one set of the numbers. He has 511 and 810 and I have 511 and A26 ..

My error is supposed to mean my inverter is 196F degrees according to SignatureSolar. It is stone cold same as outside 58F degrees and the worse thought on this is that the error was there upon first turn on of the inverter out of the wooden box.

@RichardfromSignatureSolar and update on this?

@SignatureSolarUS any comment on this?

Just checked my email and no reply yet, but it's Monday so hoping to hear back today. Thanks for your patience while I research to get the correct answer.

So, just verified with my Growatt contact - (I didn't think this looked like an error code) and here was his reply:
One of the picture means that's the inverter's rated power 12kw. And I believe the other picture shows the secondary firmware version, but I will need to check and confirm if that's the secondary firmware version.

This is not an error code, it is the firmware version of your inverter.

Likely the error you got was cleared when you restarted and to troubleshoot that we would need to have it duplicated again. But the images you shared are not error codes.

Ok, that all sounds great. Too bad the home office tech told me to box it up and return it based on it appears to have some issue in that the inverter transformer is 196F degrees. Because these are the exact pictures I sent to them/him for help on the issue. He called these ERROR codes. I just asked what it meant since it was not in line with the other information about LOAD, AMPS, VOLTS.

The issue I am having is the inverter is tripping one leg of the 120V AC breaker ( ON THE INVERTER, not my house service panel ) once it crosses about 10900 watts. I have connected it back up yesterday since you have been trying to help me and it runs great at normal loads of my house which is 600 watts. Then the heat pump and air handler comes on it is 4000 watts, then when the water heater comes on while all that is going it is 8000 watts. The lights slightly dim even after it stabilize at 8000-9000 watts. Then, if my wife turns on her hand held 1000 watt hand dryer it spikes to 10900 and trips the L2 leg of the circuit breaker on the inverter. I duplicated this issue again last night. I left the inverter connected and just reset the L2 breaker. Not another issue up to now today. Of course, the hot water heater is not on either 90% of the time during the day.

Where is the firmware update since I see now that my inverter and the inverter in the video I posted are different firmware versions? Someone removed the firmware files from the google drive. The install ISP files are still there, but there are no firmware updates to 3000, 5000, or this 12000 series of inverters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bLeUXc4VtIDKIKH4tGVQmcH80RfS5cI/view

Thank you very much for your attention to helping me understand this issue and hope this helps others in getting to know the 12K inverter better.

Makes good sense that one picture with 12K is the rating of the inverter posted there. Sure wish the documentation would outline all the display messages, but, I do know the Chinese do not translate well on manuals and procedures except on a need to know basis.

Last edited:
Anyone want to understand what the pictures are on the display? I have one I cannot find any information on in this picture.

display pic and notes.jpg

OK, was reading the manual again and ran across what the ramp angle icon means.

1648095180225.png

Last edited:
Likely the error you got was cleared when you restarted and to troubleshoot that we would need to have it duplicated again. But the images you shared are not error codes.

Oh my gosh @RichardfromSignatureSolar

I have read the manual many times as new user of this hardware. Sure I dont expect someone to know everything about a piece hardware, but the thing that really gets me is the guy answering emails at SS tech support tells me these "what I called ERRORS " question was in his answer, " your inverter is at 196 Degrees." .. Not even close

I love to read the manual and the light bulb moment comes on in your head when you all the sudden see the answer you been worried about for 2 weeks.

1648096203901.png

Oh my gosh @RichardfromSignatureSolar

I have read the manual many times as new user of this hardware. Sure I dont expect someone to know everything about a piece hardware, but the thing that really gets me is the guy answering emails at SS tech support tells me these "what I called ERRORS " question was in his answer, " your inverter is at 196 Degrees." .. Not even close

I love to read the manual and the light bulb moment comes on in your head when you all the sudden see the answer you been worried about for 2 weeks.

1648096203901.png
Agreed. I know we are working with the tech team - lots of growth and new service reps. But it should be clear - if they don't know the answer they should find it before answering.

Here's pics of mine:

Attachments

• P3240391.JPG
    P3240391.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P3240390.JPG
    P3240390.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
Back