diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12kw Off Grid wiring and inverter settings.

kromc5

Solar Addict
Wondering if anyone can answer a question about the wiring.

I have taken a bunch of pictures and sent to signaturesolar, I really want to make sure I understand it all before attempting any load testing.
I found this video where they did hookup neutral. The manual only shows h1/h2, I do not have utility coming in.

I would be interested in seeing the inverter configuration as well.

Thank you

Something else I found, after powering off the inveter and backkup it will not show back up on the growatt page even though the data logger is showing connected.

Hi Kromc5, I am looking into this same inverter (12kw) as well. We will be moving soon and there is no utility on our new property. I know absolutely nothing about solar.
I am seeing this as generator hook up for 1 of the 3 supplies if used as off grid system with no option for Grid and there has to be a ground or there will be a difference of potential (no matter what AC is used). H1 or H2 has to have a ground to get 120V, where if you test across H1 to H2 it will read 240V. That is all he is testing for (120V), I am learning and am scratching my head constantly, if you have any advice back this way we would really appreciate it.

Hi Kromc5, I am looking into this same inverter (12kw) as well. We will be moving soon and there is no utility on our new property. I know absolutely nothing about solar.
I am seeing this as generator hook up for 1 of the 3 supplies if used as off grid system with no option for Grid and there has to be a ground or there will be a difference of potential (no matter what AC is used). H1 or H2 has to have a ground to get 120V, where if you test across H1 to H2 it will read 240V. That is all he is testing for (120V), I am learning and am scratching my head constantly, if you have any advice back this way we would really appreciate it.
I have been testing the inverter, the hightest loads were 42 amps, which equates to almost 102/110 amps on the batter side. I have mine setup for 240v, neutral was required when I asked signature. I'm using an 80amp breaker for the inverter. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

How many questions is the thing, lol. There would have to be a neutral to get 120v but most appliances that are 240v only need a mechanical ground (so I was taught). Did you have to purchase any other items to create a neutral with this unit? I am hitting a road block on meeting our summertime needs here in lower-mid-state SC. We use 30kwh/30000wh on 90+ deg. days (when kids and grands come over only, much less when it's just us) and trying to go solar looks like the battery bank can't be cheesed on. If I need 30kwh peak, with 1 day of autonomy, with a 48V batt bank with 1500AH (3 strings of 500AH), with a summer sun peak of 5.5 (this is during summer and I would have no shade and would build my array on a skid for shifting) which would take 30 - 250w panels - producing 7500w. This is mind blowing! I was also looking at the stackable 5kw for our needs. We will setup our next home a bit more efficient but I believe I will have to get utility brought out.

How many questions is the thing, lol. There would have to be a neutral to get 120v but most appliances that are 240v only need a mechanical ground (so I was taught). Did you have to purchase any other items to create a neutral with this unit? I am hitting a road block on meeting our summertime needs here in lower-mid-state SC. We use 30kwh/30000wh on 90+ deg. days (when kids and grands come over only, much less when it's just us) and trying to go solar looks like the battery bank can't be cheesed on. If I need 30kwh peak, with 1 day of autonomy, with a 48V batt bank with 1500AH (3 strings of 500AH), with a summer sun peak of 5.5 (this is during summer and I would have no shade and would build my array on a skid for shifting) which would take 30 - 250w panels - producing 7500w. This is mind blowing! I was also looking at the stackable 5kw for our needs. We will setup our next home a bit more efficient but I believe I will have to get utility brought out.
I was instructed to run the neutral directly off neutral in the breaker panel and its functioning perfectly, all 240v heat/cooling, mini split, water heater are all functioning. Before starting our solar we averaged 2400kwh to 3100kwh. The mini split saved us the most with 400kwh+ easily per month. I'm wondering if you could also save with a mini split? We use a lot due to our job and our clients leaving lights on etc., plus we do higher than normal baths. I have installed a hybrid rheem as well, pulled all the fluorescent and ballasts out of the basement, put in new single sided tombstones for leds.

The storage side is very expensive, guessing its roughly 150kwh combined. But when you see the heating/ac pull 110amps from the battery I wanted to have a buffer. We get some very high winds and storms which can really drop production to near zero for hours.

36 Panels per each 200amp breaker have been able to stay postive even with the big loads. I ended up with a few extra steel 3 inch pipes so decied to have an extra array that could easily be moved around for charging when need.

Here's my final setup.
90 500w bifacial panels.
Two 12k Growatts.
3 Growatt Charge controllers.
3 4p16s.

Ever get the datalogger figured out? This thing is ridiculous. I can get it to connect and in some parts of the app it says it's connected but doesn't give any data. Then when I check online it says the datalogger is "discharged". What the heck does that mean???

Kinda late for sure but did you guys ever figure out the wiring? I can share if needed!

Back