diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 24v 6kW split phase and a 230v single phase mini split system?

Page 16

It appears you only connect L1, L2 (240V) and G to the outdoor unit and L1 and N (120V) to the indoor unit.

I would contact them to confirm. It's really not clear on their literature, but I believe the wiring diagram supports the above conclusion.

Page 16

It appears you only connect L1, L2 (240V) and G to the outdoor unit and L1 and N (120V) to the indoor unit.

I would contact them to confirm. It's really not clear on their literature, but I believe the wiring diagram supports the above conclusion.
I will contact them, but to confirm............ you think they will work together?

I do. They are a product for North America with a 60Hz frequency. The L1 and L2 in the outdoor unit wiring and the L1 and N in the indoor unit strongly indicate they are intended to be powered by 120/240VAC split phase power in North America.

I do. They are a product for North America with a 60Hz frequency. The L1 and L2 in the outdoor unit wiring and the L1 and N in the indoor unit strongly indicate they are intended to be powered by 120/240VAC split phase power in North America.
Thank you so much. And this will work with most batteries and solar panels? Or do you have suggestions on those for this system?

They key component will be an inverter capable of split phase 120/240V operation. Many just operate in 120V mode. Given the relatively low power consumption of the unit (21000BTU/21.5SEER = 976W), it shouldn't take much. Important to get typical run currents and peak currents from the manufacturer to have when you are selecting your inverter.

Solar panels power the solar charge controller, which charges the batteries. The batteries then power the inverter, which powers the minisplit:

Panels --->Charge Controller --->Batteries --->inverter --->mini split

Once you have clear picture of what the mini-split needs from a power perspective, you can begin to select your components. Step 1 is defining the loads. You're not quite there yet.

They key component will be an inverter capable of split phase 120/240V operation. Many just operate in 120V mode. Given the relatively low power consumption of the unit (21000BTU/21.5SEER = 976W), it shouldn't take much. Important to get typical run currents and peak currents from the manufacturer to have when you are selecting your inverter.

Solar panels power the solar charge controller, which charges the batteries. The batteries then power the inverter, which powers the minisplit:

Panels --->Charge Controller --->Batteries --->inverter --->mini split

Once you have clear picture of what the mini-split needs from a power perspective, you can begin to select your components. Step 1 is defining the loads. You're not quite there yet.
Ok, I for sure will need more education. And a dictionary lol. I thought this "all in one" growatt was an inverter and charge controller

It is, but you may find that it might not meet your requirements. Even with all-in-one units, the overall concept is the same in terms of how they work.

It is, but you may find that it might not meet your requirements. Even with all-in-one units, the overall concept is the same in terms of how they work.
Ok thank you! I am also considering this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-48...949694?hash=item48e4c7e07e:g:CLQAAOSwc65etO8~ The seller says it will work with the mini split.......... he says both will work but I guess this 2nd one has more power being a 48V rather then 24V. I am a total newbie and intimidated by the idea of killing myself with a 48V lol.
Where would I research on how to hook up one of these all in ones to my RV. I have an old school 50amp plug and converter from the year 1998 and a 5500 generator. I am ok with making the all in one and solar panels and batteries and mini split a stand alone system, but if not too complicated, I would prefer to hook it all up to the system I currently have so when plugged into shore power or the generator is running that the mini split would run off that

Be mindful of ebay sellers. Fortunately, you've located the U.S. distributor, http://www.watts247.com.

He is likely right; however, I personally wouldn't pull the trigger until I get hard data on the peak and run currents from the mini-split.

The 6kW LF unit will certainly work but it may be overkill. Another factor in your inverter selection decision will be the idle power draw - they use power just being turned on and having AC voltage available. This can be a surprisingly high number.

Very interesting Snoobler! Thank you so much for all the help and advice on this. I have a couple months to plan out my system for the RV before committing the cash (which sounds like it will be a lot actually). So right now I am just trying to wrap my head around what kind of setup I will need. Your advice goes a very long ways towards helping me on that road. Thank you again

Once you have a clearer picture, I'd make a new post to get additional feedback.

While getting the start surge and run numbers. Keep in mind the inside fan will be drawing on the L1 line as well
The 6kw splits are basically dual 3k inverters. So half the compressor start will also have the inside fan start on it.

Back