diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 24v - AC output reversed polarity?

That sounds like you have a real problem. Could their quality control suck that bad? I'd disconnect those wires and see if it still happens just to be sure the problem is isolated to the inverter. I had a guy put the wrong screw in and it went right thru the plastic to the metal cabinet. A lot can happen with wiring.

Hello,

I'm new to this so there's a large probability I probably screwed up, but anyway here's my question.

I have the Growatt 24v 3000w all in one, and I just hooked it up to 2 12v SOK batteries in series. I have the AC output going through a breaker, then feeding a GCFI outlet. The outlet works, but when I plugged in my outlet tester it is giving me the "hot/neutral" reversed code. I then tested the output terminals and the N terminal (which I have hooked up to the white wires) is the hot one, not the L terminal.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Are the terminals mis labeled?
The SOK batteries can be connected in series? Have you checked the specs on that?

Disconnect the wires to the terminals and see if the lamp still lights. It is a mistake to assume that the problem could only be on the inverter side.

Normally neutral is connected to ground at one place which is at house service entry breaker box. No other place should neutral be connected to ground. There is an outside ground stake connected to fuse box case ground bus bar. The ground bus bar is the bus bar with a bunch of bare wires conected to it. The floating neutral bus bar in breaker box has a bunch of white wires connected to it. If the neutral bus bar is in the main breaker entrance it will have one of the neutral bus bar connections going to fuse box case ground. If breaker box is an auxilary breaker box the neutral bus bar remains floating and there will be a large white wire going back to main breaker panel's neutral bus bar.

On U.S. 120v outlet with ground prong at bottom, the neutral is the wider of the two flat connectors on the left side. On a two wire 'polarized' extension cord the neutral blade is wider so it will not plug into and AC outlet reversed.

If inverter AC input is connected to grid mains via fusebox breaker, the inverter internal connections should not have neutral connected to ground. It should have neutral (white) and ground (green) brought back to fuse box as separate wires. Case of inverter should be grounded to case on fuse box via a separate grounding wire. Do not use metal conduit as sole case to case grounding path.

You likely have the output of inverter neutral (white) and hot (black) lines reversed. This assumes input is properly connected as described above.
China inverters may not follow wire color conventions.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help. I have learned a lot, and have a final update for you all.

Turns out my wiring was correct. The key thing to keep in mind, which I think should be noted in BOLD in the manual is: even if you aren't using utility first mode, AC input needs to be connected to a grounded source in order for the whole thing to work correctly. Since I was testing it with just the batteries hooked up, it didn't work correctly. Once I hooked it up a properly grounded outlet, everything worked fine.

Still not sure what was going on with the lamp test, but since everything is working as intended now, I won't question it.

Thanks again.

Back