diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 250V Inverter Update

Hillbilly1878

Hi,
Thought I would post a quick update on my whole house system in case anyone is considering taking the plunge. I installed 10kW worth of solar panels last June. I also installed a Growatt 12kW Inverter, and 55kW of Batteries from Signature Solar in Texas. So far the system has performed as expected. I did have a issue recently where the Inverter would cut off the output for no reason. I reached out to Signature Solar and Growatt both. After jumping through some hoops I was provided a firmware update that I installed. Since then all is working wonderful. I had a unexpected consequence this Winter where due to temperature drops the panels became way more efficient, and I actually had more juice in the Winter than I did last summer. I had to switch more of my house over to solar, and basically 60A runs all of my house except the AC. My power bill has dropped to the point the Electric Company sent someone out to spy and see if I monkied with the system. It is a amazing feeling to have more Energy than I can use, and know no matter what I am covered for a long time. the support from Signature and Growatt is awesome, and I would recommend them in a heartbeat.
-Thomas

hey i am just getting started on a growatt 12kw 48v system
I bought from signature solar. I have
Inverter
Batteries. One of these..
and 3 of these on back order.

I plan to use these solar panels

and because they are bi-facial maybe putting this on the ground.

I was thinking of making 2 arrays in a 4s4p configuration getting about 200'ish volt and 40'ish amps from each array. Then connect those to PV1 PV2

Did you use a combiner box or wire the panels with fuses. Do you have any suggestions on fusing, breaker boxes, disconnects?
and what type of safety would you strongly suggest be in place. Do you have any suggestion for "things" that you did not think of until after you started putting the solar system together?

I would like this system to charge the batteries as well as run the system on the solar panels at the same time.
With the grid i pull about 1.2Kw/hr. I can get full sun for at least 7 to 8 hours every day.
Are you able to run your system 24x7 or are there days you have to pull from the grid?
thanks for any advice or things you think i should be aware of. oh and i do plan on buying more batteries and have at least 6 in the rack. I think that will be 30Kw. do you think I should I go with a larger battery bank?

Any more issues with power loss, for no reason? I am having the same issue. Signature solar says they have never heard of this issue?

Idk, everything goes off, i hear a beep. Everything comes back on. All the while, I'm running twords the inverter. When I arrive, all is normal.
I'm a bit of an old feller. Watching me try to run must be a delight for my wife.

Idk, everything goes off, i hear a beep. Everything comes back on. All the while, I'm running twords the inverter. When I arrive, all is normal.
I'm a bit of an old feller. Watching me try to run must be a delight for my wife.
There is a firmware update that corrected the quick restarts on mine. I would contact signature ask them about getting the link. It's super easy to do and they have a video covering the update.

Thank you, I'll try them again. Sounds like they have new phone tek guys. They might not be fimilure with the issue.

Hi,
Thought I would post a quick update on my whole house system in case anyone is considering taking the plunge. I installed 10kW worth of solar panels last June. I also installed a Growatt 12kW Inverter, and 55kW of Batteries from Signature Solar in Texas. So far the system has performed as expected. I did have a issue recently where the Inverter would cut off the output for no reason. I reached out to Signature Solar and Growatt both. After jumping through some hoops I was provided a firmware update that I installed. Since then all is working wonderful. I had a unexpected consequence this Winter where due to temperature drops the panels became way more efficient, and I actually had more juice in the Winter than I did last summer. I had to switch more of my house over to solar, and basically 60A runs all of my house except the AC. My power bill has dropped to the point the Electric Company sent someone out to spy and see if I monkied with the system. It is a amazing feeling to have more Energy than I can use, and know no matter what I am covered for a long time. the support from Signature and Growatt is awesome, and I would recommend them in a heartbeat.
-Thomas
What firmware version does your Growatt inverter display when you scroll through the menu? I experienced a short power loss during my testing and I have firmware 074-02-507. Not sure if this is the latest version or not. I also can't get it to turn off the beeps when you press the buttons.

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I ended up having to update my Firmware via my laptop to fix a few issues. the version they provided from Signature solar was GW511.03 from back in 2021. I would check to see if there is a update newer before I tried to update my unit. I must say after I did the update it fixed my issue.
GW511.03.PNG

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I ended up having to update my Firmware via my laptop to fix a few issues. the version they provided from Signature solar was GW511.03 from back in 2021. I would check to see if there is a update newer before I tried to update my unit. I must say after I did the update it fixed my issue.
View attachment 135343
What does your Growatt panel menu indicate as the corresponding firmware version? Mine is 074-02-507. I have no idea what firmware file name that would be. Seems kind of silly for the file name to not indicate the displayed version on the unit.

Forgive me, it been a long time now. I updated my thread on this but must have missed this one.
SS did contact me... tear 1 or something, anyway they gave me a update and everything has been good for months now.
I think the update number can be found here, in the "resource " area.
It only too a few min and was not real difficult. I always worry about bricking my unit. But, it went well.

Forgive me, it been a long time now. I updated my thread on this but must have missed this one.
SS did contact me... tear 1 or something, anyway they gave me a update and everything has been good for months now.
I think the update number can be found here, in the "resource " area.
It only too a few min and was not real difficult. I always worry about bricking my unit. But, it went well.
Do you have the link to the resource page here ? Does it have the firmware download on that page?

I'm so sorry, I can't believe you are still having this issue.... I will check, right now, and get you all the info i got.
One piece of advice, and i say this to so many people here and in the automotive world. Ground, ground, ground. NO i don't want to start a grounding thread. I'm just saying, a lot of these units need to be connected to all of their counter parts with a ground wire... even the batteries. They use it for a voltage balancing and communication connection. Right or wrong.

I tried to link it here.... I suck at this world of tech where everyone uses their own way to do things... and changes it every 6 months. I'm too busy to keep up on the NEW crap. Sorry for the rant...

Hi All,
I have been still having issues with the last Three batteries I purchased from Signature Solar last year. They do work, but are always 10% behind the other Nine Batteries as far as charging. I have tried moving them around with no luck. I suspect it may be wire length since I used the wires it came with. I am in the process of trying to figure out how the Battery Communications works on the Growatt unit and batteries with a new logic Analyzer I purchased. The Growatt inverter and the EG4 batteries do not seem to communicate well together. I am guessing once I figure out the Interfaces I may be able to design and stick a translator board in between to handle the Language issues. When I log into my page on server.growatt.com The SOC on the Batteries is never right. Has anyone else looked into this to try and make this work right?

Yes.
This issue has come up a few times here.
My best suggestions are; make sure you have the right cables, double check that you are using the right input on the inverter, all batteries need to have the same length cabling and if attached to a bus bar the leads to and from that bus bar need to be equal, the inverter case and the batteries (cases) need to be connected by a wire (refered to as "ground") **let's not debate grounding just yet**, keeping in mind that the first battery connected (closest) should be the primary battery and be coded as such, all ather batteries need to be "dip switch" different. Lastly, after all connections are made, change the settings to "LI with communication", do a full off, full on, reset/reboot.
Good luck.... enjoy.

A logic analyzer? I want one!!! What is it and where can I get one?

Your batteries my also be out of balance, I'm not sure how or when or what your voltages were at the time of install, but at this point a top balance would certainly not hurt.
Ok....... later

(I'm going to dream about my new, logic analyzer)

I bought one from dreamsourcelab.com. It works very well, and is built like a tank. I will capture some data traffic on the Battery Comm. interface when I get time and post it.

Back